blessedreport

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hey guys, i just got an evga 560 ti (superclocked) and tried overclocking it to 1ghz.
Right away, the fps in tests like msi kombustor, furmark, and evga oc scanner, dropped way down for no reason.
Im basicly stuck at stock speeds right now. (in case it's important) I play bfbc2, crysis, mw2, civ4 and 5, mafia II, and fallout new vegas.)

Any help would be appreciated!

asus p7p55d pro
intel i5 750 @ 3.8 ghz
evga gtx560 ti superclocked
corsair tx 650w

Solution
100mhz increase is fairly big and unlikely to simply be useable without more voltage.

Try using proper overclocking technique.

Overclock at most 50mhz at a time until something bad happens, either a crash or lower fps. Then either increase voltage or reduce the clock. It's a very slow process but it's the only way to guarantee it's going to work properly when overclocked. Also, do not overclock the mem and core at the same time. With GDDR5, it will definitely show a reduction in FPS before it ever crashes. If you did both, then that's more than likely the issue with lower FPS. I've actually rarely seen core speed reduce FPS regardless of voltage, it normally will simply be fine and then poof it artifacts and/or crashes.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I wouldn't have said it dropped for no reason, only one which you can't figure out.

It's likely unable to get enough power to run properly at such a high frequency. I don't mean from the PSU, as it's probably up to snuff. I mean it's not running at a high enough voltage to maintain the frequency. Much like RAM and CPUs, GPUs can also need a bit of a voltage bump in order to make higher frequencies stable.

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
^+1.

At OP, you should try overclocking the core going up in increments of 5mhz. Once you are happy you can start upping the memory frequency in the same manner. You may not achieve a very high overclock without pumping more voltage into the chip, i know from experience that graphics cards don't overclock very high without pumping extra voltage to the core.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
A 560Ti's stock speed is 822MHz core & 1645MHz shaders, while your eVGA Superclocked edition runs at 900MHz core and 1800MHz shaders by default. Your card is already well above "stock speeds."

If the card won't show any further performance improvement from overclocking despite incremental increases of it's voltage, then you've simply reached that card's limit.

blessedreport

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
keep in mind though, their are ssc (super, super clocked) and ftw (for the win) editions nearly identical (electronically and outwardly) to the reference model.

it is not uncommon also, to operate the card at 1050+ mhz

100mhz increase is fairly big and unlikely to simply be useable without more voltage.

Try using proper overclocking technique.

Overclock at most 50mhz at a time until something bad happens, either a crash or lower fps. Then either increase voltage or reduce the clock. It's a very slow process but it's the only way to guarantee it's going to work properly when overclocked. Also, do not overclock the mem and core at the same time. With GDDR5, it will definitely show a reduction in FPS before it ever crashes. If you did both, then that's more than likely the issue with lower FPS. I've actually rarely seen core speed reduce FPS regardless of voltage, it normally will simply be fine and then poof it artifacts and/or crashes.

Solution

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
A new heatsink? So now you believe your lack of OC success is being caused by heat, not erroneous settings and overclocking methodology? Really?

Methods have been outlined for you already, but you seem to think you can just jump straight into 1GHz GPU overclocking. Guess what? Not every card will overclock identically - not even when they're the exact same make & model, came off the same assembly line, and were born from the same silicon.

You seem to want a 1-click solution while unable to accept the reality that overclocking isn't so simple. It very often requires a lot of time and patience. The use of small frequency bumps, stability testing, and small adjustments to voltage in the event of instability is the proper technique.

I suggest you perform some further research into GPU overclocking methodology itself before proceeding any further with your OC attempts. Otherwise, you might end up cooking your card.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
No, I don't think you're being ignorant at all. I think the language barrier has obviously failed once again. I thought you were referring to the video card when you spoke about needing a new heatsink. Why? Well because you started this thread asking about a GPU, not a CPU. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Anyway... I'll leave you two to work it out. You asked why the card can't OC further, and I offered the likely cause. He advises that the CPU can't handle any further increase in data from the GPU, which is nonsense. An i5-750/760 OC'd to 3.8GHz can handle SLI and CrossFire setups of similarly powered GPUs. 200Mhz more of a CPU overclock isn't the solution.

But good luck finding a solution. Any time you actually want to get applicable and practical advice, look me up.

blessedreport

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
alright, so i did more testing. it appears that my card slows down when my voltage is too low/high. but afterburner wont let me set it just right (the mv slider increments are to far apart it would seem). can i unlock it somehow? or maybe use a different program?

also, i heard that the lower your mem clock is, the higher the core will clock.
is this true/beneficial?

There's.... a slight truth to less mem clock = more core clock but it's not much and like cromedome said, mem clock is more beneficial anyway. I usually recommend starting with default core and OCing the mem, and then working on core.

Also for voltage, some GPUs don't support changing voltages. However as long as you "unlocked" it in the settings menu it should be adjustable, although one other option is to open the Afterburner config file and change "allow unofficial overclocking = 0" to "= 1".

TRENDING THREADS