Sign in with
Your question

Does this sound like a bad CPU?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 21, 2009 11:18:59 PM

I am replacing a E6600 dual core with a q9550. I have an asus p5w dh deluxe motherboard. Latest BIOS installed. When I first put the CPU in and fire it up, Windows vista(32 bit) starts fine, recognizes the CPU, and installs drivers. Then it requires a restart. When it comes back, it BSOD's after the moving bar pops up during windows startup, before it gets to the login screen. I've went through this process twice. I pop the old one in, its fine. Put the new one in, did it again. Temps seem fine, running at just under 50 degrees celcius last time I tried it( I bought a new fan, but I'm not putting it on until I get the processor working, so I should get those temps down)

I have a dual boot with Windows 7 off of a different hardrive, but it doesn't work either, same thing happens.

Anyone have any clue as to what to do? Send processor back? Get a new mobo? I'm at a loss

More about : sound bad cpu

September 21, 2009 11:24:21 PM

Did you clear the cmos when you changed the cpu?
September 21, 2009 11:33:56 PM

katanadude said:
Did you clear the cmos when you changed the cpu?

No I did not, that's something I've never done. I might try that if you think it will work, but the weird thing is the fact that it boots into Windows just fine the first time, just never again.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2009 12:37:58 AM

try installing a new instance of windows
a c 83 à CPUs
September 22, 2009 1:40:07 AM

I would reset your BIOS so everything is at default, there is no need to reinstall windows, I've changed processors countless times without problems.
September 22, 2009 2:48:19 AM

Yeah, I did take everything back to default, even though that messes the timings(?) up on my RAM, making them slower. But still not working. I did a little searching and saw that maybe I need to increase the voltage to the RAM as they may not be getting enough with the more powerful cpu pulling now. Dont' know if that makes sense or could be true, but I might try it later, once I feel like taking the fan and processor out again.
September 22, 2009 3:59:11 AM

i would do a repair install of windows
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2009 4:05:40 AM

50 is hot for no load. get that temp under control.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2009 4:55:40 AM

the q6600 stock cooler sucks 50 isnt out of control if the case isnt well ventilated.

try a fresh windows install before you write off the cpu..

also is that board pretty old? might need a bios update.

what kind of power supply do you have if you were right at the limit
the new processor might be too much.

I'm just tossing some ideas out there...

September 22, 2009 1:03:48 PM

That m/b has 975 chipst which officially only supports up to 1066 FSB, so there is no guaranty that Q9550 will work properly. Try manually setting CPU parameters in bios starting at 1066FSB and slowly increasing to see how high can You get. You might need to adjust voltages as well. If everything fails consider selling Q9550 and getting q6600 or q6700 or changing motherboard.
September 22, 2009 1:38:06 PM

xaira said:
try installing a new instance of windows

^^ I'd do this.

A consistent (at the same point, reproducable) BSOD is usually a software\driver\OS issue.

Inconsistent (random, at different points) BSODs point to motherboard\CPU\Overheating issues.
September 22, 2009 2:11:12 PM

It works fine if he puts old CPU in so I doubt it is software issue.

If it is automatically overclocking chipset to 1333, it might be overclocking RAM as well. Drop RAM speed/multiplier/ratio to lower speed so that after overclocking it remains within specs. Or You could try to increase RAM voltage and/or loosen timings.
September 22, 2009 2:16:21 PM

ainarssems said:

But he's going from a dual-core to a quad-core. There could be issues with the HAL (insert 2001 reference).
September 22, 2009 2:19:32 PM

Or it could be that PSU or power management circuitry on m/b cannot deliver enough power for quad
September 22, 2009 3:01:42 PM

ainarssems said:

If it is automatically overclocking chipset to 1333, it might be overclocking RAM as well. Drop RAM speed/multiplier/ratio to lower speed so that after overclocking it remains within specs. Or You could try to increase RAM voltage and/or loosen timings.

I'm not the best at messing with voltage and timings, but I'll try and put it back in when I get time and try some of these suggestions. I think in the end I'll just get another motherboard, but maybe if I tweak it a bit I can get it to work.
September 22, 2009 3:05:16 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
^^ I'd do this.

A consistent (at the same point, reproducable) BSOD is usually a software\driver\OS issue.

Inconsistent (random, at different points) BSODs point to motherboard\CPU\Overheating issues.

It is pretty consistent I think. If I boot into safe mode it gets stuck at "crcdsk"(I think that's right) and then BSOD. If I go normal, its always right after the moving bar shows up in the windows loading.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2009 3:13:06 PM

what lamo board cant give a measly 95 watts
September 22, 2009 3:30:38 PM

I did something similar when upgrading. Boot from the windows disc, and repair the installation. I'm betting that your PC is booting up, looking for the components it knows, and falling over when it finds the new ones.
Failing that, check you have the appropriate BIOS for the chip.
September 22, 2009 3:38:05 PM

Quote:
what lamo board cant give a measly 95 watts

Remember that board is not new so it might have partially dried capacitors or other faults causing poor or unstable power delivery at higher wattage.

As for reinstalling windows-
Iam always leaving that as the last option because I do not like to reinstall all the software and setup the way I like. If OP have spare hdd to install new Windows without wiping current Windows then fresh install would be a good possibility to try. But I would not try to wipe old to find out that was not the problem.
September 26, 2009 3:29:53 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied and give an update. I got the processor working, and its been pretty stable for a couple of days. I upped the voltage on my ram from like 1.9 to 2.05, and that seems to have been the problem, the fact that with the new processor in, the RAM needed more voltage. I don't understand it, but there it is. Seems like the board could figure that out itself, but what do I know.
!