Need help with CPU Heatsink/fan!

airjaw

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Hey Everyone, I'm a bit new to DIY builds so I could use all your help.

I recently bought this heatsink/fan for my Cooler master Elite 341.

Basically, there is a fan in the back of the case. The problem is that the Rosewill heatsink fan only lets you position the fan either to the top of the case or towards the bottom of the case. I don't know much but I figured having the fan face the back of the case would be best.
edit:: there are also holes in the case towards one side

Right now my options are:

1) position heatsink fan towards the top of the case (almost directly into the power supply)
2) position heatsink fan towards bottom of the case (into my graphics card)
3) buy a new fan entirely and position it towards... (back of the case I assume).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

edit2: also, maybe I Should add a fan in the front of the case?

airjaw

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Ok, I think I understand. the Fan blows onto the heatsink, so the fan should be mounted nearer the front of the case, with fan blowing onto heatsink, and through to the back. I had it mixed up in my head.

Well, my current heatsink/fan doesn't allow for that. It can blow towards the top of the case or bottom. Both of which aren't optimal. I guess i can return this heatsink/fan but just wondering how big of a difference it makes. My primary concern is quietness. I'm not going to overclock.

JSquared

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I am also currently in the same situation. I recently bought the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 which only allows for the fan to face towards the top or bottom of the case. I would also like to know what the best option would be. So far I haven't read where anyone has had a problem with the way these are installed. Just not sure the direction in which the heatsink should face in order for it to be most effective. I appreciate any feedback :)