Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why Do You Water Cool

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 11:02:09 AM

I'm wondering why some of you water cool vs air cool?

My thoughts would be possibly noise control running a quieter computer?

Maybe reaching a higher possible overclock? (If so whats gains did you actually get)

Some of you water cool and don't overclock?

Some of you just like the water cool concept?

So Why Do You Water Cool?

More about : water cool

a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 12:04:13 PM

I originally wanted to try some higher overclocks, didn't care about noise.
Had some screaming NMB's and Delta's hanging around and bought a BIXII to pair them with.
Now it's about quiet, as long as I keep my office temp at around 19c, I can turn off my fans and not see more than 54C on my OC'd I7-930 when Priming ( Yay for over-radding, the BIXII was replaced by a TFC480 )

Now that summer is here and the grandkids are around I can forget about quiet again
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 12, 2011 7:30:08 AM

I'm currently building my first water Rig and I wanted the challenge of cable managing all those hoses :p 
I know I can overclock higher and it will be quieter to a degree, but for me it was the engineering challenge I guess
Moto
Score
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2011 7:36:38 PM

Water cooling is basically next step in cooling your components that will allow higher overcloks,prolong folding ,etc
There is nothing like highly OC system that is silent ,it's a great hobby all tho very addicting and can cost arm and a leg most of the time ,you won't understand until you successfully build one
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 13, 2011 2:01:25 AM

I am more the moderate overclocker, but more the hobbyist when it comes to watercooling. Years ago when I started, it was for my P3's and P4's that I wanted to squeak a couple 100 MHz out of. These days, I have maintained a large amount of WC gear and will continue to WC until I no longer find it interesting or find anything else I want to try with it. There are so many possibilities out there from chilled water loops, slush boxes, bong coolers, external lateral lines and even externally mounted rads in northern Canada in the winter.

Can your air cooler do any of those?
Score
June 13, 2011 4:01:49 AM

one word, overkill.

anything worth doing well, is worth taking it way beyond what's necessary, plus it turns into a hobby and looks cool. The lower temps and higher overclocks are just a bonus.
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 13, 2011 11:18:55 AM

Actually guys I am water cooling once again and my reason for doing so is to be able to run my 2500K at 5ghz 24/7 and stay below the Intel thermal throttle threshold, couldn't quite do that air cooling, even though the Thermalright 120 Extreme cooler is the best performing air cooler, I've used period, and out performs the sealed CPU loop coolers.

I had some past (2003) bad water cooling experiences that turned me against water cooling, I'm not going into detailed reliving the experiences, but 3 bad pumps, and leaks, completely turned me against anything with the name Asetek stuck on it.

I was so sick of Asetek I took a sledge hammer to the three pumps and destroyed them, stupid I know!, but at least at that point, I knew what was wrong with them.

A serious waste of money, but a certain satisfaction at the same time!, anyway that's past history now.

I think rubix_1011s excitement rubbed off on me so once again I'm water cooling, but nothing I'm running has Asetek's name on it, or ever will!

Things have surely changed for the better since those days and I'm beginning to get excited myself, I have a lot to learn to get the maximum cooling I can attain, already learned some things the hard way, so I'm hoping to learn from you guys as much as I can, to save myself some miss-spent money!

Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 13, 2011 1:34:57 PM

Yeah, if you are serious about watercooling, avoid a LCS cooler Like Asetek or Corsair. They are OK for someone doing moderate OC or with limited space and/or budget. Even the Rasa kit (as great as it is for most beginners) can easily be out-done by a good custom loop.

A few tips on a great performing loop:

1. Get a good/great pump from the very beginning.
2. Over-rad if you can.
3. Fans. Good ones for your radiator application.
4. Loop routing - shortest tubing lengths if possible, a few 90s are OK if they are high-flow.
Score
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2011 3:32:32 PM

@4ryan6 ..do you really need 1.496v for 5.0 and is it stable (P95 blend 1 hour)?
this are the temps you would be looking at if you LC your system right (ambient 73F~burn test) 1.49 V bios

Ambient @ 80F would give you 73C highest core
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 13, 2011 4:39:15 PM

@ortoklaz

You got 1.496v from my signature CPU-Z validation and that was when I first got my 2500K, it never actually crashed in the blend test, it got too hot air cooling and thermal throttled down, so actually it wasn't running 5.0g once the thermal throttling started, it dropped the multiplier from 50x to 42x then started creeping back up 44x, 46x as the temps dropped, that's when I stopped it from running myself.

3DM06 in WinXP, and 3DMV in Win7, or gaming never had any problems, Prime95 was why I wanted to go to water cooling to keep the load temp low enough not to thermal throttle.

My ambient is around 72F, and I've done extensive testing with the 2500K since posting that validation all on air cooling, but water cooling changes everything with the water cooling WinXP Pro 32bit will run 50x at 1.455v, it takes 1.475v in Win7 Pro 64bit.

However I'm changing to a better radiator and fans and will be doing more serious testing after that, I'm kind of in limbo right now until then.
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 13, 2011 4:44:50 PM

@ rubix

I'm open to all tips and suggestions from you guys and I just learned your tip #2 the hard way!

I'm only going to be cooling the CPU so I'm hoping a 240 will be sufficient, however I'm changing from a single pass to the Black Ice 240 GTX Extreme and higher CFM 120mm fans. (Already have the fans in hand)

The single pass radiator did not matter how much air I threw at it, as a matter of fact the higher airflow caused the cooling performance to drop, Oh Well, lesson learned the hard way!

I've got a lot to learn concerning water cooling, hopefully not all of it will be the hard way! :lol: 
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 13, 2011 5:29:08 PM

Yeah, single pass rads are ok...but not many people use them anymore. If you have a low flow rate, they might be beneficial, but most loops try to stay at higher in terms of flow to get a better delta. For an overclocked i5 or i7, you really should consider a 3x120mm rad for the CPU alone...they get pretty hot once you get past 4.5ghz+
Score
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2011 2:56:54 AM

Reasons I use water cooling:

1. It was a new challenge and a fear to overcome
2. Extreme overclocking (got neutral result -- same speed with air and water darn it)
3. Needed better cooling than "big air" could give, what with my 1.504v CPU voltage
Score

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
June 14, 2011 1:45:44 PM

Most people won't see bigger overclocking potential (like you used to 5-7 years ago) with watercooling, but your sustained load temps will be lower. Remember, heat is the enemy of anything electrical...so cooler is better, if nothing more than the lifespan of your hardware.
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2011 1:56:35 PM

I originally got into the idea of LCing a few months back before I sold my X58 platform. I had 3x470s + i7-930, and the GPUs were producing so much heat that they couldn't OC at all without overheating, so I figured LCing was the way to go.

Once I upgraded to P67 and a 6950, I didn't need it as much, but since I began looking up the guides and such with X58, I couldn't stop myself ;)  I've almost got everything for my system (waiting on fans, which arrive next week :( ). I'll post pics in the WC Club sticky, because I'm doing this in a Raven RV02 which has very little documentation on LC loops in them.
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 17, 2011 2:01:34 PM

^Very good idea. I like the Raven case, but yes, there isn't as much done with it that is posted.
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 18, 2011 8:23:11 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Yeah, single pass rads are ok...but not many people use them anymore. If you have a low flow rate, they might be beneficial, but most loops try to stay at higher in terms of flow to get a better delta. For an overclocked i5 or i7, you really should consider a 3x120mm rad for the CPU alone...they get pretty hot once you get past 4.5ghz+

Quote:
D-Tek v.2 CPU, 2x MCR320, 2x Swiftech MCW-60 VGA, MCP655

Your specs show you running 2 MCR320s, the MCP655 pump is running it all?

How have you got that setup? Have any pictures?
Score
a b K Overclocking
June 18, 2011 10:54:13 PM

The 2 MCR320s are basically a necessity if rubix has his CPU + 2 GPUs in his loop. The 655 is a 1200 LPH pump, so it could easily run that. The 35x probably could as well, but the 655 is cheaper at that point.
Score
June 19, 2011 12:52:01 AM

Original reason was to silence a pair of reference Radeon 4870s, those suckers with no slot in between were just too hot and loud for my liking.

Then the hobbyist bug got me and I picked up a basket of goodies from my local Microcenter and went to town. It was amazing to see that a res-top MCR350 could handle an Apogee XT and two MCW60 blocks without struggling.

Now the 4870s are gone and I've got way more than enough radiator space, but it sure is quiet!
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 20, 2011 2:35:05 PM

I bought that 655 like 6+ years ago, long before the 35x was available. I have a few pics, but they are older...still what the setup looks like for the most part.

Score
June 20, 2011 9:27:26 PM

I started Water cooling back in the day, when it was the only way to get real performance gains (back in the P3 and P4 era). Now I do it because it looks nice, you can be creative, you can keep your computer cold (hence, last longer), sure you can get some gains by OC'ing but for me the reason i do it is the challenge. Unfortunately (for my wife), even just buying parts became not challenging enough, I now CNC my own parts, make my own rads, pumps and reservoirs.

As ortoklaz mentionned, it's very addicting. I'm now looking at making a WC/LN2 system or a full out LN2 system. Just for the challenge, all for the rush, all for the challenge!
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 20, 2011 9:37:20 PM

+1 for the engineering team huh? :-)
Moto
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 7:09:05 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Reasons I use water cooling:

1. It was a new challenge and a fear to overcome
2. Extreme overclocking (got neutral result -- same speed with air and water darn it)
3. Needed better cooling than "big air" could give, what with my 1.504v CPU voltage

1.504v with a 2500K, even water cooling you're not running that voltage 24/7, so what clock speed did that get you to? and What 24/7 speed do you actually run?

I hit 5100mhz at 1.50v, as a matter of fact I'm running 5100mhz typing this right now, so hows your water cooling coming along?

My idle temps right now according to Real Temp are 19,10,19,22.

This water cooling is working pretty good so far!
Score
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 1:13:53 AM

4Ryan6 said:
1.504v with a 2500K, even water cooling you're not running that voltage 24/7, so what clock speed did that get you to? and What 24/7 speed do you actually run?

I hit 5100mhz at 1.50v, as a matter of fact I'm running 5100mhz typing this right now, so hows your water cooling coming along?

My system runs Einstein@Home continuously, so it's at 100% load whether I'm actively using the computer or not. 4.8GHz @ 1.504v pretty much constantly (had to shut down for a couple of big thunderstorms :(  ) since late January. It gets rebooted once a week, and shut down only when absolutely necessary (like during those thunderstorms). Otherwise it's at 100% load all day every day.

I already stated that water cooling didn't make any difference to my maximum stable overclock. I was hoping, but it didn't happen. It just lowered my peak temps from 78ºC to 61ºC.
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 2:01:46 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
I already stated that water cooling didn't make any difference to my maximum stable overclock. I was hoping, but it didn't happen.

Regarding a radiator/reservoir loop, Same here.
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 2:03:21 AM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Score
a c 225 K Overclocking
June 26, 2011 2:23:35 PM

Best answer selected by 4ryan6.
Score
!