Fan controller running all fans on max RPM, can't reduce speed!

rwlomas

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hi all,

I have a problem with the noise my fans are making. I'm not sure if this is normal, I didn't expect them to be so noisy. I have them connected to a fan controller though so I tought i could reduce the speed to reduce the noise, but the fan controller fails to control the speed...

I have 6 fans altogether, 4 of them connected to my fan controller, a Lamptron FC Touch.

I have a Prolimatech Megashadow with 2 Yate Loon 120mm High speed fans, both set up to push air upwards through to the top exhaust fan in my case.

I have 2 others for intake fans, including another Yate loon High speed and a stock 140mm fan. My rear exhaust fan is just stock. My top exhaust is a 140mm Yate loon medium speed.

The Yate loons are all running at about 2000 rpm, with the 140mm running at about 1500 rpm.

I put a decibel meter up to the case and it's reading about 65db. The yate loons on the megashadow are making a very high pitched sound, like a cricket or something, it's unbearable!

I swapped them out with other stock fans and this got rid of the high pitched sound.

I thought the fan controller could vary the fan speed so i could reduce the noise, but it doesn't work. Even on manual mode by reducing the output it has no effect on the fan speed. Has anyone had similar problems with fan controllers not doing what their supposed to? Any suggestions for fixing this?

Many thanks in advance!

rwlomas

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Well before i replace the controller itself i'd like to sort this thing out! I paid alot of money for it and by all reports it's meant to be a great fan controller.. just not for me :(

Anyone familiar with fan controllers know how I might troubleshoot this problem?