New Build: World of Warcraft Multibox Killer System!

matthewwwatkins

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Hi

I currently multi-box World of Warcraft on a A8N-SLI / AMD 64 2.42 GHz, 2 GB Dual DDR RAM, BFG 7800 GTX OC 256 mb with 4 x 19'' LCD monitors which is fine for my present usage but I can only get 10-15 FPS per screen. I really want "up the stakes" in the near future and start some serious PvP / Instance running with 6 screens and I would feel more comfortable with a constant 50-60 FPS per screen. I use an application which allows me to choose a "cpu affinity" per WoW screen so I thought a i7 would help greatly.

I really must have 2 x DVI outputs to accomodate 2 x Matrox TripleHead2Go GFX expansion modules to run my 6 monitors. Seeing that TH2G are pretty expensive I want the very best graphics cards (Quad SLI / CrossFireX / DirectX 11?).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: After the new DirectX 11 GFX cards are available (so within the next 2-3 months??).

BUDGET RANGE: around £1500 or $2500.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playing 5-6 copies of World of Warcraft simultaeously / Browser / Music etc.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitors, Speakers, 2 x Matrox TripleHead2Go GFX Expansion Modules.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel Core i7, Quad SLI or CrossfireX.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe? Will I need to?

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: 12gb RAM, additional Solid State Drive purely for WoW Installation Directory.

Am I mad? Is this complete overkill?

Please help me!

:)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: After the new DirectX 11 GFX cards are available (so within the next 2-3 months??).
Ask us when the become available. The i5,etc will also be released then and everything you would look at will be changed. Also AFAIK DX1 cards won't be out till end of this yeat (Correct me if I'm wrong as i'm not 100% sure).

matthewwwatkins

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I am just worried that if I blow $500-$700 on 2 x 295 GTX or something similar tomorrow I might have to blow another $500-$700 in 2 weeks time. If that is not the case then I am happy for some build suggestions with "currently available hardware" aslong as I can upgrade in the future without buying a new Mobo, CPU, Ram etc etc.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

Not really. Mobo is out, CPU is out, RAM is out, GPU is out. That's all you listed, none of it is reusable.

Never played WoW, but have Twoboxed EQ2 x two PCs = 4 toons on 2 screens. My understanding is WoW's graphics load is light in comparison, but still your cpu utilization has *got* to become a real issue, even with an i7.

So why force 6 instances on one machine when you are going to use 6 monitors in any case?

Run 2 PCs and split the load. Your existing PC should handle two instances OK, and it is concievable a wound-up i7 can handle 4 with acceptable FPS.

. . . however there are many misconceptions that are found all over the net about the gold farmer, about the concepts behind a lot of what goes on in the industry.[/url]

No, there aren't.

In a PvE game, few would give a rat's butt about you guys if you didn't spam advertisements continually in chat and in email.

In a PvP game, you create an imbalance between players who can afford to buy gear, and those who can not or choose not to.

Developers who don't keep your advertisements out of the game do not deserve the support of players who play the game and abide by the rules as published.

Your advertisements are a blight on every MMO I have played, and THAT's the problem, ie, your blatant lack of concern for everyone else's enjoyment.

TRENDING THREADS