I have an overclocked 1gb 460 (clocks in signature) which has worked great in every game I've tried (Crysis 2, JC2) except one. It can't seem to take the SC2 campaign scenes, especially the large, detailed, shadowy armory. After a couple seconds, I start to get a repeated triangular artifact in the same location every few frames. This happened on ultra, so I turned it down to high - and it continued in exactly the same way.
I used to have the card on EVGA's superclocked level (850/1700/1000), but then I ran the Precision stability test, got a couple of artifacts and turned it down to 840/1680. This eliminated the test's artifacts.
I haven't played SC2 for a while, but back when I did I never had this problem, or at least didn't notice it (not likely; it's pretty obvious). I also feel like I used to get better framerates than my current 25 in extreme-graphics Hyperion scenes.
Any ideas?

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I assume drivers are up to date? :p There was a pretty big update lately.

Probably unstable OC, just because it is or seems stable in a few games it can be unstable on other games.. Check to see if drivers up to date and if that doesn't work then take back down to default clock speed and start over.

If that doesn't work, maybe your card is going bad?

No graphics problems in SC2 have turned up since I clocked down a little, but I did get two bluescreens that forced me to 3.8ghz. I wonder why SC2 is crashing me on 60fps when stuff like Crysis 2 doesn't crash me on 50fps (actually limited -> max load)?
I have 267.24 now...googling...hoho!
You're right about the driver; I'm going to clock back up to 840/3.9 and see if things hold.