I cannot get my e8500 to run a constant 3.16 ghz

zigzag_05

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I have an Biostar Intel socket 775 gf7050-m7 SE, e8500 cpu. Recently i dled cpuz and realized my cpu steps up at various times but usually runs at 2000 ghz with a 6x ratio. Well unfortunatley this isnt what i paid for, i look at it like buy a v8 and getting 4 cylinders. I understand the fact is i dont need the power thats why it is speed steping " Intel Speed Steping". But i want the power and i paid for it so ive been trying to figure out how to get a stable 3.16 9.5 ratio.

Steps ive done

1. updated bios
2. disapled intel speed step within the bios Yes there is a setting that reads intel speed step, so i
disabled it
3.i have windows vista, so i went to power options and made sure everything was set to performance
the cpu is reading on vista to be running at 100%
4. i read as many forums as i could to see if there was bios setting that im missing
5. didnt find anything, i did find that people have overclocked the board so i know it can take the power input

So ive looked in the bios and it shows the cpu to be set at 9.5 ratio and 3.16ghz but its not so im confused as to what i need to do.... help me please

Kari

Splendid
Speedsted doesn't harm the performance, it only lowers the clocks when idle, it'll go right back up when under load. It is shaving few cents off your electric bill though.

and yes, there should be another setting to disable in the bios...

zigzag_05

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Ive checked for EIST, which i believe is the same thing as intel speed step, in the bios there is no option for eist.
Idle temps are 31c on 1 core and 40c on the other. Underload they go up 3 or 4 cs. Im wondering what this other setting would look like, is it under CPU or power options, im quessing cpu

theese are the settings under CPU

Hardware Prefetcher (enabled)
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch (enabled)
Max Cpuid Limit (disabled)
Intel Virtulization (enabled) ive disabled this aswell
Execute Disable Bit Capability (enabled)
Core Multi Processing (enabled)
PECI (enabled)
Intel Speed Step (disabled)

thx

zigzag_05

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Ok ive check intel website to see what my cpu is supported with and found this

Supported Features: Dual Core
Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology
Intel® EM64T 1
Intel® Virtualization Technology
Enhanced Halt State (C1E)
Execute Disable Bit 2
Intel® Thermal Monitor 2
Notes: These parts have PROCHOT enabled.
These parts have THERMTRIP enabled.
These parts have PECI enabled.
These parts have Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT) enabled
These parts have Extended Stop Grant State (C2E) enabled
These parts have Extended (C4) enabled

Ive disabledintel speed step in the bios but i dont see any options for disableing c1e.. i believe that is what i need to disable.

zigzag_05

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Ok i turned off PECI tempeartures seemed fine. I ran 7 browser each with a video
playing then monitor temp il saw a slight variation of temp it seemed 1 core would jump 8c then go back to 31c it did that several times. The other vore would jump 4c then go back to 40c witch is idle temp.

Temps below 50c are fine, in my opinion.

Did that fix the frequency issue?

zigzag_05

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Thx for the info, but no it hasnt fixed the issue. Ive known peole to overclock this board, but i cant find any bios settings with the forums ive seen. Does anybody know, how i could take screen shots of my bios... and were the screen shots would end up after capture.

Use a digital camera. Only other way I know of is to install a RIB.