Help required regarding routers and ISPs

hethkor

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Afternoon all,
After looking around a bit through the forum, I've decided to make this post. Despite the fact I've seen many "which router is best" posts, none seem to be anything but definitive, so, I come to you asking for you to impart some technical wisdom.
At the moment I'm running a 6 year old Zoom ADSL modem. I think it was about £30-£40 back in the day. This served me fine, but then I began gaming, and, particularly on XBL, it always seems to throw up problems regarding NAT-firewalls. Anyway, after searching through my options, I could find no way to manually turn it off, so I gave up. I looked again not so long ago, and could still find nothing, but, although this is an issue, it isn't the main one. For about 4 years or so, my internet has been very unstable. After using it alot, sometimes I need to close down/restart browsers, otherwise it can't find the site I'm trying to connect to, which can be rather annoying. I also get horrific download speeds. On some downloads, they're fine, 240-500 KBPS, but, I am supposedly on 8mb broadband. On a speed test it went at about 3k kbps, but, this seems awfully small for the price I'm paying (currently with Orange... Ack).
When transferring a file in a skype convo, or sometimes and MSN conversation, it's not rare for it to take upwards of 20 minutes for something like a small file (Which i think is down to the NAT, tried disabling AVG and got the same response).
The router is getting very old now, and it's simply struggling, so, I ask you this: What is a good router (particularly for gaming) that's wired. I'm not adverse to getting a wireless one, so long it has the option to be cabled (basically, whichever has the best tech, easy to setup and will work well). My second question is a much more broad one. I'm currently on an Orange scheme which is terrible. I want to upgrade my internet. Atm I'm paying £19[?] a month for a speed that is so, so slow at peak times. Any ideas for a good package (price is from £20-£30, willing to go more possibly).

Thanks in advance, I hope one of you can help me :)
- James

grondie

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
LinkSys routers seem to work ok for home use - and the fact that there are a ton of them out there almost guarantees that any problems that may arise will have a forthcoming solution.

Personally, I use a SonicWall TZ150 - which has worked great, hasn't been touched in over a year and never causes any issues. But, this is a business class device with a business class price.

I can’t help you with the ISP issue, wrong side of the pond :)