Something not right, how to track down with no apparent culprits

guitz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
OK, I just bought a new Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard, AMD X4 620 quad core CPU , and 2 gigs of G. Skill 1066mhz memory 1 gig per DIMM stick.. Running Windows XP professional, using the onboard video for now (ATI HD 4200)...I've left everthing stock in the BIOS with the exception of setting the memory manually to 2 volts and lowering it to 800mhz as Gigabytes website has some cryptic message on their memory compatibility page about memory not running in dual channel mode at 1066 and above, that may just be my misunderstanding, but the issues I'm having are also when I had the memory at 1066 too......

So, at random times, for no apparent reason with a fresh install of Windows XP , from day one , the mouse will 'struggle' to move and clicking anything will just stall...then , after some random amount of time, generally 5 to 10 second,s things will run smooth until the next occurance , usually within 20-30 minutes. It occurs whether I'm doing anything at the moment or not, and windows Task Manager/Processes doesn't appear to show anything unusal taxing the CPU....there is absolutely no indication in windows of what might be causing this brief freeze up like behavior....memtest says the memory is good, windows xp's Event Viewer logs show no apparent messages to explain to me what is causing this. The stunner about this for me, has been that in spite of all this massive computing power, when something like this goes on, your literally reduced to experimentation and removing/swapping/replacing parts as part of the process to diagnose the problem. Aren't these systems smart enough now to tell me what the issue is? lol ....anyhow, if anyone has any similar experience or ideas what might be causing this, I'd be very happy to listen...I'm about a day or so away from RMA'ing the entire thing and starting over with maybe an Intel i7 system....

My mouse does the same thing, but it's wireless. Doesn't require me to buy a whole new setup. Try a different mouse first or wait for a wireless one to be on sale. My keyboard is also wireless, but works fine. I got my wireless combo for $6 after rebate at frys on black friday. Also, does your board have a memory mapping setting in the bios? Try enabling it and use the default memory timings except for voltage.

guitz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

My mouse is wireless too....a Logitech cordless laser Revolution...it worked absolutely fine with my prior system, an MSI mobo , AMD 1.8 ghz CPU and 512 megs memory....I don't recall seeing an option for memory mapping , but I'll check again...setting it to 'manual' gives all the timing changes, but I only changed the voltage to 2 volts because that what was on the memory packaging (2.0 - 2.1 v) and I wasn't sure what it was when left in the 'normal' setting...anyhow, it SEEMS like the mouse freezing is simply some kind of indicator that something else behind the scenes is causing it, rather than the mouse itself....I don't hear the hard drive 'chirping' or working when this occurs, so I didn't feel it was that....after hours of head scratching, the only thing I've concluded so far, is the possibility that the gigabyte motherboard just doesn't like this memory.....

One other thing that made me think memory, was a few days after buying the system, I bought 4 gigs of Crucial 800mhz DDR2 memory, and the odd thing was, the system kept constantly rebooting itself, no matter what changes I made in the BIOS or swapping the two modules...memtest mysteriously would stop and it stopped on 'CPU halt'....put the old G.SKill memory back in , and memtest says it tests OK, so I sent back that memory....

guitz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

No, it's a Western Digital , 250gig , 7200 rpm...Caviar type I think....I wonder if the fact that I'm using 512 megs of system memory for the onboard video? Wouldn't think that would matter, as my old system ran win xp fine using 512meg of total memory (had a seperate video card though), although every once in a while it hit the swap file...