HD4890 directx10 games unplayable/graphics corruption

stunpulse

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I got a system a few days ago to replace my old system which just died. When I got it, I tried running 3dMark vantage and although it loaded, it gave me a wierd graphics problem. Its hard to describe it, so I took a screenshot. I also ran HAWX in dx10 mode and it gave me the same problem.

3DMark Vantage:
http://i30.tinypic.com/2n0q9z8.jpg
HAWX dx10:
http://i30.tinypic.com/1zdqby8.jpg

However, when I run dx9 or older apps the pc runs smoothly and without any problems. HAWX in dx9 mode and Fallout 3 works fine. Its only dx10 which is the trouble. Also, for some reason, when I run the Windows Experience Index rater it makes the Windows aero theme have the same graphics problem, which is solved by reformatting or turning off the aero theme.

I tried everything that I could think of: reformatted and used Vista x64 as well as Windows 7 x64 with only 9.6 catalyst drivers, tried it with Windows 7 x64/Vista x64 and windows updates/chipset drivers and other programs, I updated directx to march 2009, I tried 9.2-9.5 catalyst drivers and the beta 9.7 driver, I tried switching on Vsync, different resolutions and refresh rates, adjusted graphics fan speeds and switching on/off Catalyst AI. They all come to the same result. The LCD I use works, since I have used it with my old PC with no problem, until the pc gave way.

I received the new PC 2 days ago, the store owners built and stressed tested it for me (dunno about the gfx card though). Nothing is overclocked except the CPU, which was overclocked by the store. It may be just the graphics card problem or maybe my own incompetance, since the last ati card I used was a 9600XT way back.

Here are the specs:
CPU- Intel i7 920 @ 3.2
Mobo-Intel Extreme BOXDX58SO
GFX-XFX HD4890 1GB stock settings
RAM-GSkill 6GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24(stock?)
HDD-Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
PSU-OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Monitor-Viewsonic VA703m 17" LCD
OS-W7 x64 for now

Is this a common problem? Is there a common soluton? Thanks for your help.

stunpulse

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm planning on returning the system to the store to get them to fix it. In the mean time, I'm trying to solve it on my own.

Can it be a graphics card problem if it can play every game perfectly except dx10 games? I thought it would be some driver problem, since if the card was bad, everything would look like crap, regardless of the directx version; Correct me if I'm wrong..

TRENDING THREADS