Continuous Reboot of Windows XP emachine

Obivioustoall

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hello:

I have read the questions and responses here in the forum concerning continous rebooting of the computer, but so far none of the suggestions apply.

SpinRite 6.0 Option 2 and 4 have been performed on the computer but the rebooting continues.

The computer will boot to the Windows XP splash screen but then reboots.

Utilized F8 to boot to Safe Mode, but once the Safe Mode option is chosen, the computer reboots again without accessing/displaying the Safe Mode screen.

I am working on this computer for a friend whom indicated the computer was used by another individual whom accessed unsavory sites and Limewire downloads. Assumption: viruses, trojans, worms, malware, spyware and Goodness Knows what else.

There is no software available to reinstall Windows XP which was pre-installed. The computer was a given to the friend with no software.

Any suggestions as to how to access the computer to install anti-virus software and clean up the computer?

Thank You for your assistance and any suggestions.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
You could slave the hard drive on another machine that already has anti-virus/anti-spyware software installed on it and use that machine to scan and remove malware from the slaved hard drive.Afterwards just put the hard drive back on the emachines and see if it boots up normally.

Obivioustoall

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Thank You jj463rd for the suggestion. Now to find another computer in which to perform your suggestion. My desktop computer has Vista installed and there may be a compatibility issue. Will keep you updated. Again, Thank You!

well it does sound like a corrupt windows file on it. The only way (that i know how) to fix that will be to wipe the hdd clean and start over. Although looks like you'll have to get either vista or( you can wait for) Windows 7.

But you can try to do what jj463rd suggested first before having to result to this method.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

Did you check to see if the computer has a hidden partition?
some of the newer computers have a partition that can be accessed at boot time with one of the F keys and you can do a system restore that will load an image that will leave the computer the way the manufacturer sent it.

I would recommend an OS reinstall. You only need to get your hand on the OS media. You can use the license key that should be on a sticker on the computer.

Just because you don't have the original CDs doesn't mean you can't do the reinstall. You may be able to download a copy from a file sharing program, just be sure to use your own CD key (that's on the sticker) to keep it legit.

ah yes. forgot about that one. although if it's a newer motherboard (post 2004) more than likely it's solid and not liquid filled cap.

Obivioustoall

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hello Warmon6 and jj463rd:

Although I did not have another computer at the moment to put your suggestion into action, I did try adding another hard drive with Windows 98 changing the CMOS to the configuration of the Window 98 drive but it did not work.

I then tried using one of my Windows XP Professional disks to access the drive, so far that has not worked but will give it another try this evening. The owner gave me their password, but in the Windows Recovery Console, it states the password is invalid.

I have a couple more options in mind and will keep you updated as to the progress in repairing the computer.

Thank You So Much for responding and your willingness to assist. Your assistance is Greatly Appreciated!

Oblivioustoall

Obivioustoall

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hello jj463rd, TechnologyCo, dunklegend, warmon6:

Thanks to All of You for your responses, suggestions and assistance.

I have checked the computer for a hidden partition utilizing the F keys, but none of the F keys provided an option to view a hidden partition.

The motherboard was examined for any abnormalities which may possibly be the culprit of the problem. I also obtained a second & third opinion on the condition of the motherboard for reassurance.

Although a copy of XP Home was obtained from a file sharing site, I am new at working with .iso files, but I am working on it. LOL

I also have several IT friends whom are attempting to obtain an original or copy of XP Home.

All of you will be kept updated as to the progress of reconciling this issue. I Thank Each of You for your assistance, suggestions, knowledge, and willingness to help a total stranger with a technical issue. I applaud all of you.

Oblivioustoall

Obivioustoall

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

Hello nforce4max:

I apologize for neglecting to include your name in my last post to everyone who responded to my message.

I have attempted to view a hidden partition, but use of the F keys does not provide an option to view a hidden partition.

I am attempting to obtain a copy of XP Home via several IT friends. You will be kept notified of the progress on repairing the computer.

Thank You for your assistance, suggestions and willingness to assist a total stranger with a technical issue. I applaud all of you!

Oblivioustoall

Obivioustoall

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

Hello TC:

I apologize for neglecting to include your name in my last post to everyone who responded to my message.

I am attempting to obtain a copy of XP Home via several IT friends. They agree the computer requires reinstallation of the OS since the motherboard is in perfect condition. You will be kept notified of the progress on repairing the computer.

Thank You for your assistance, suggestions and willingness to assist a total stranger with a technical issue. I applaud all of you!

Oblivioustoall

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

If you got XP as an .iso file, the only thing you need to do is open Nero, or whatever burning program you have and select the "burn from an image" option, and select your .iso file. Once you do that the resulting CD should be a bootable copy of XP.

Obivioustoall

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hello Everyone!
Apologies for being away so long; I have not been on my computer trying to fix the other computer in question. I acquired a copy of Windows XP SP3, but for some reason, no matter how I change the boot sequence, the drive will not read the disk. It will read my Windows XP Professional disk but will not let me go any further.

I am one not to let an inanimate object beat me at its game, so I am still plugging away at it. LOL I think "maybe" it could possibly be due to the version of XP. I do not think the computer has been upgraded to SP2 much less SP3.

The owner is not computer literate in the basic requirements of maintaining a computer. So.... this weekend I will give it another stab. Any suggestions????

I have tried all responses posted here and so far I am still fighting with the blasted computer; but I refuse to let it get the best of me.

Thanks for your concern about me being away so long. It is the end of the fiscal year for the government and this time of year is a very busy one which does not afford me the time to be on my computer as much as I would like.

Will submit an update over the weekend, around Sunday. Have a Great Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and/or Night [Time Zones may be different - Smile!]

Respectfully,

OblivioustoAll