Need help with parts

Newbiekid

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hi, I want to build a water cooling system,however i do not know what are the parts and brand which are good for water cooling unlike normal air coolers.

My system specs are.

I5-2500k
MSI-P67A C45
Sapphire 6850
NZXT tempest Evo

I know that its pretty useless to buy a water block for the 6850 so i guess i would just cool my CPU.

But how do i choose the parts are know whether its workable?

grahamie

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
I would not say it useless to buy water block for a 6950, my cards (5850 be xfire) run a lot cooler (24c min and 45 max) also the card will last a lot longer and i don’t have to listen to the fans.
For a cpu block i have an ek supreme hf and it keeps my 1090t (colcked to 4.33) at 34c idle and 55 max. but i hear there maybe some issues with them. The swiftech apogee seems like a good choice as well.
Rads and fans are important, most people will tell you require a 120mm rad surface per heat source and with rads, bigger is usually better. There is a good read here for some comparisons on lots of hardware.

Newbiekid

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

What I meant is, I heard that by spending money buying a water block for a 6850. Its better to just spend the extra money to get a better graphics card.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Have you read through the watercooling sticky? I have it linked in my signature below...it offers a lot of information on some of the questions you are facing. I think by figuring out what you want to do, what your budget is and your hardware plans for the next 6-12 months, you should be able to come up with a good idea of what you will need.

What is your budget? What do you want cooled?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
That is going to be a little tougher for ~$100USD. The best way to go cheap is to check forum 'for sale' listings...you won't find too many here most of the time, but there are some others that might. You can go with a cheaper pump like a Hydor brand which are typically pretty good, or even some aquarium pumps. Some need to be submersed, some do not...make sure you check which. Automotive heater cores work well as radiator alternatives....used/cheap are good, but you'd need to likely clean them up and make them work for you. There is also the issue of how to mount, barbs, etc...and by the time you go that far, you can get a 2x120mm rad for around $35USD. Waterblocks...might have to search around.

I know Ortoklaz is king on this forum for finding budget gear...wonder where he is at today...?

Hmm, I've got the opposite opinion, I look for for Orto to show up when people say " no limit budget ", he know's how to spend some cash.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yes...and so do I...it's why I don't often dig around a lot to find bargain deals...I'd rather drop the cash on the good stuff. :) You do make a good point, though. Maybe he is just good at giving different alternatives...maybe that is a better choice of words.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
@rubix,delluser..:)yeah ..cardboard fan shrouds, pantyhose air filters,aquarium pump, Bonneville HEATER CORE,PVC tubing ,etc ..sure Google for it i wonder how long it's going to last you...lol
For 100$..you got to be kidding me :lol:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Hey, I've gone the route of the heater core before...for a brand new one, you are going to pay almost the same as an MCR rad in some cases. However, if you are resourceful enough to find used ones/pull them from a salvage yard, you can easily score cheap gear.

it isn't impossible, but you have to be resourceful and look around. You also still have to get blocks...this is where you actually spend most of that cash, unless you can find used stuff.