Sign in with
Your question

Safe OC of AMD in an easy way?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 12, 2011 10:54:51 AM

Hello, I'd love some help to a safe easy overclocking (safer is more important than performance), Easytune 6 does not seem to work too well for me, have un-and re-installed.
Any reccs for the below:
Gigabyte 880-GA UD3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2, unlocked so now X4
Easytune 6 list this as : CPU 808.61 MHZ, HT Link 2021,53 MHZ
Bus 202.15 MHZ, Multiplier 4.00 !!! (yes, FOUR)
4 x 2 GB Kingston PC3 10700 (667 MHz)
Graphics card
MSI ATI 5770 1 GB DDR 5,
GPU 400 MHZ, High Performance Memory 1200
PSU 650 W 80+
Windows 7 x64

Thank you all in advance!

More about : safe amd easy

a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2011 12:14:57 PM

Here is an easy way to OC an AMD Black Edition Chip (you didn't call out model number but I'd assume it's an AMD Phenom II X2 Callisto, 550, 555 (x16 mult : 3.2Ghz), 560 (x16.5 mult : 3.3Ghz), 565 (x17 mult : 3.4Ghz)

Just change the Multiplier. To do so, enter the BIOS, and look up the multiplier setting....

If you have a 555 : 3.2Ghz chip you'll see that 200Mhz x 16 (multiplier) = 3.2Ghz. For this chip, increase the multiplier 0.5 at a time. Then run PRIME95 to check for stability, 15min should do. Check your temperatures using SpeedFan application, they must stay under 70C. IF no crashes, increase the multiplier another 0.5. When you do get a crash, back off the multiplier 0.5, or 1 to be really safe and stable.

Bottom line, you should be able to get your chip up to about 3.4Ghz to 3.6Ghz (or a 1 or 2 increase in the stock multiplier value) with NO voltage adjustments. For lowest temps and least extra stress and strain, just don't bump the voltage at all. And your done....

NOTE: your multiplier is set to such a low value due to Cool 'n Quiet being turned on : this is normal. (just run PRIME95 and you'll see the multiplier kick up to the correct value)

NOTE: With the extra cores unlocked you may find you can't OC much at all. I.E. those unlocked cores may be "weaker" than the 2 cores that came stock. You could drop back to just 2 cores, to get a higher OC, BUT ... I'd go with full 4 cores at a lower frequency everytime for best performance.
June 12, 2011 12:15:35 PM

Unlocked means that you are running 2 cores that were disabled for some reason, usually because they needed higher voltages to run.

-It's better to overclock via the bios. I found that often the software based monitoring tools display wrong data and don't work well.

-With amd chips stay under 1.5volts at all times. 1.45volts is a comfortable voltage.
-Keep it under 60C at all times, with under 55C being ideal.

I found this easy way to overclock.

First put the chip at the stock multi and fsb speed. In your case put the voltage at 1.45volts right from the start since you need it for the unlocked cores.

Look in the bios and see what speed its running at. In windows often cool n quiet will be running under low loads so 800mhz is just the cool n quiet speed.

-In the bios (usually in the hardware monitoring page) set the fan start temp to 15C and the temp max to 55C. The fan will speed up until its at max rpm to try and keep the cpu under 55C. (you could try for 45C or 50C if your cooler is really good) You will end up making a compromise between fan noise and the cpu temp here.

Run a game benchmark something like the benchmark in dirt2 or ut3 or a game that you have with a built in benchmark. It should run properly without crashes and glitches. Download something like prime95 and run it for 10mins. Then exit and do a reboot and go into the bios, look at the hardware monitor to see your cpu temp.

- If the system tested stable and the temps were ok right after running the benchmarks, then you can start overclocking.

- Bump the multi up by one until windows fails to boot (but still posts into the bios). Let the system rest and cool down after the failed windows boot for 10mins then boot and go into the bios and set it 2 multi's lower.
So if it was at 18x then set it to 16x.
It should pass the tests again, check the cpu temp too.

Then overclock via the fsb since it speeds up the, ht bus, memory, chipset, L3 cache a bit with the cpu increase.
-Boot into the bios, increase the memory, chipset voltages to the next step above stock or to "performance" settings.
-Increase the fsb by 5 until windows fail to boot again. Let the system cool down for 10 mins, then boot into the bios and drop the fsb by 10. Reboot into windows and test the system again. Check the cpu temps like before right after running the tests. If it fails any tests drop the fsb down by 5 and retest.

With the card, bump up the gpu clock by 10 until it fails the amd test built into catalyst, then drop it by 15. Be careful overclocking ddr5 memory it is easily damaged.

!