I currently have a Mitsubishi HC1600 720p projector in my living room. Hooked up to it is my Comcast DVR box, and my old htpc. I have a 5.1 speaker setup with a 5 year old onkyo receiver.
I mainly want to use my new HTPC for dvd's (which I rip onto my HD), watching/ripping blue ray movies, listening to music, pictures, and doing backups of the other PC's in my house. Recording/watching TV isn't really a big deal to me at this point because I already have comcast DVR, if I ever wanted it I could just add a TV tuner anyways. Playing games arn't a big deal either because I already have a gaming machine.
One concern I have is that might Receiver has no HDMI inputs/outputs, although it does have 2 optical outs.
I plan to use MediaPortal and was hoping to get some kind of media server up so I could view movies/pictures/music on the road.
Oh, and last thing you should know is that I already have an Antec Sonata 2 case which I plan on laying down horizontal, and a 450 PSU.
Since I am new and cannot post links to my wish list, here is all my items via newegg:
- ECS BLACK SERIES A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard $68.99
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition $64.99
- G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory $25.99
- 2X Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $84.99EA ... X2 - $169.98
- ASUS Black 6X Blu-Ray DVD Combo SATA Model $89.99
Total cost = $419.94 with 2TB or $334.95 with 1 TB
So what do you guys think, will this meet my needs? TIA!
If you don't think you need 2TB right away, you can always stick with one drive and buy an extra one later. You might get 1.5 or 2 TB for the same price if you wait. Depends if you think you'll fill it up right away though. You don't want to run out of space either.
looks good to me, you could even underclock the CPU a bit so it generates less heat and run the fan quieter.