Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions on a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2009 4:54:25 AM

Hi,

I just built a AMD Quad Core, 4GB RAM . 500 Watt Power, 500gb HD, running XP.

It came with the Sparkle 9400GT graphics card.

I would like a better one with a HDMI outlet to hook to my TV for sound and video, capable of HD & blue ray, HDCP compliant.

I am not a gamer. But would like the option to do some decent not expert ones if I decide too.

Do not want a loud power hungry card is a priority...

Thanks!
Related resources
a c 236 U Graphics card
July 10, 2009 5:13:44 AM

sapphire tends to focus more on home theater then other video card manufactures

the 4850 tends to be a bit louder then the 4670 and demands more power but if you have a decent 500w PSU then its not an issue. In return its a far better gaming card, considered a mid-level card.

the 4670 can run any current game out there on low-med settings and can easily max out older games (pre-2005), Sims games, and a few others. Its an OK entry gaming card.
a c 236 U Graphics card
July 10, 2009 5:15:11 AM

the 4830 would be in-between the 4670 and 4850 in terms of gaming performance. It needs less power then the 4850, offers HDCP, but costs as much as the 4850.
July 10, 2009 5:32:43 AM

Hmmmm...so should I just take the 4670? Ive noticed they have a version out with gddr3 and GDDR4...

GDDR4 tends to be a bit more pricey...
a c 236 U Graphics card
July 10, 2009 5:58:46 AM

i don't know if they still make the GDDR4 one. It was a good card mostly because it was silent not because of the faster RAM.
July 10, 2009 5:17:01 PM

Well I would like the option to run some games. I havent really tried any yet, the PC I used to have was a bone stock HP.

Let me ask another question. I notice that graphics cards tend to have the same numbers. For example The one above was a "Sapphire 4670"

But then a few posts down someone recommended a "HIS 4670"

Is the model number a standard across brands? If so how do you know what brand to go with?
a c 236 U Graphics card
July 10, 2009 6:29:23 PM

Onus said:
A 4670 looks about right for you. This one is very quiet (I have it), and is available for only $70, or $60 if you get the $10 MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

does HIS pay you for every time you link that card?? they should ;) 

nothing against HIS, they make good cards, but sapphire are easier to set up and use for HT with their HDMI signal and audio transfer

a c 236 U Graphics card
July 10, 2009 6:37:32 PM

Pitbull30 said:
Well I would like the option to run some games. I havent really tried any yet, the PC I used to have was a bone stock HP.

Let me ask another question. I notice that graphics cards tend to have the same numbers. For example The one above was a "Sapphire 4670"

But then a few posts down someone recommended a "HIS 4670"

Is the model number a standard across brands? If so how do you know what brand to go with?

ATI and Nvidia focus on creating graphic chips and card architecture, granted ATI has made some cards. Manufacturers (XFX, evga, ASUS, Sapphire, HIS, etc.,) then take these chips and architecture to create video cards. So when you see a 4670 from from two companies like HIS and Sapphire, the card uses the exact same chip, architecture, and usually (not always) uses the same RAM. The differences are usually on the cooling, HT features like a HDMI port, and sometimes over-clocked speeds.

a c 236 U Graphics card
July 10, 2009 6:43:26 PM

Pitbull30 said:
If so how do you know what brand to go with?

If you spend more time watching movies and video, go with the sapphire.

If you want to spend more time gaming, the HIS is a slightly faster card but slight is the key word. It will not give you 4830 performance.

!