Downloads not showing up

Hi All,

I lost my game a while back and have since been busy replacing my
collection of downloads. A lot of them don't show up, however. Any
idea? I've got the latest CEP installed. I've got the feeling it's
something to do with the other login trick but I'm not sure. Hints
would be welcome.

T.

What do you mean by 'the other login trick'?
If you have another login and are using it for playing the sims2 too, the
CEP has to be installed there too. You will have to login to that acct and
run the CEP installer to install to that accounts sims2 game too. Note that
just copying the enable color file from downloads is not enough as the
installer installs two files, one in downloads and one in another location,
so you need to install in both or all logins.

Bluegenie2 wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote
>> I lost my game a while back and have since been busy replacing my
>> collection of downloads. A lot of them don't show up, however. Any
>> idea? I've got the latest CEP installed. I've got the feeling it's
>> something to do with the other login trick but I'm not sure. Hints
>> would be welcome.
> What do you mean by 'the other login trick'?
> If you have another login and are using it for playing the sims2
> too,

Playing the sims only.

> the CEP has to be installed there too. You will have to login to
> that acct and run the CEP installer to install to that accounts
> sims2
> game too.

I did, since I thought that might be the problem. Didn't help :-(

> Note that just copying the enable color file from
> downloads is not enough as the installer installs two files, one in
> downloads and one in another location, so you need to install in
> both
> or all logins.

I can't find the file, though. Do you know what it's called?

T.

> Bluegenie2 wrote:
>
>> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote
>>> I lost my game a while back and have since been busy replacing my
>>> collection of downloads. A lot of them don't show up, however. Any
>>> idea? I've got the latest CEP installed. I've got the feeling it's
>>> something to do with the other login trick but I'm not sure. Hints
>>> would be welcome.
>> What do you mean by 'the other login trick'?
>> If you have another login and are using it for playing the sims2 too,
>
> Playing the sims only.
>
>> the CEP has to be installed there too. You will have to login to
>> that acct and run the CEP installer to install to that accounts sims2
>> game too.
>
> I did, since I thought that might be the problem. Didn't help :-(
>
>> Note that just copying the enable color file from
>> downloads is not enough as the installer installs two files, one in
>> downloads and one in another location, so you need to install in both
>> or all logins.
>
> I can't find the file, though. Do you know what it's called?
>
> T.

The one in the downloads folder is called '_EnableColorOptionsGMND.package'
I'm not really sure where the other file is located or what it is called
even.
But here is a thought, make your main sims2 folder (C:\Program Files\Ea
Games\) a shared folder for all accounts.
I just found the other file, it's called '_EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package'
and it's located in 'C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims
2\TSData\Res\Sims3D', so if you share the main EA Games folder then that
should solve your problem.
Providing of course that you have the first file in the my documents part.

Bluegenie2 wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Bluegenie2 wrote:
>>> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote
>>> What do you mean by 'the other login trick'?
>>> If you have another login and are using it for playing the sims2
>>> too,
>> Playing the sims only.
>>> the CEP has to be installed there too. You will have to login to
>>> that acct and run the CEP installer to install to that accounts
>>> sims2 game too.
>> I did, since I thought that might be the problem. Didn't help :-(
>>> Note that just copying the enable color file from
>>> downloads is not enough as the installer installs two files, one
>>> in
>>> downloads and one in another location, so you need to install in
>>> both or all logins.
>> I can't find the file, though. Do you know what it's called?
> The one in the downloads folder is called
> '_EnableColorOptionsGMND.package'

Check. Thanks.

> But here is a thought, make your main sims2 folder (C:\Program
> Files\Ea Games\) a shared folder for all accounts.

Hmm... how do I do that? I found a directory "Shared Documents"...
hey! Get this, "EA Games/The Sims 2" is in there, but not The Sims
University! That might explain things. But I don't dare to simply drag
it over to that file and I don't see any other way. Boy, do I sound
helpless. Does it help if I tell I'm a computer programmer? :)

> I just found the other file, it's called
> '_EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package' and it's located in 'C:\Program
> Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D', so if you share the
> main EA Games folder then that should solve your problem.

Check.

T.

> Bluegenie2 wrote:
>
>> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>>> Playing the sims only.
>>> I did, since I thought that might be the problem. Didn't help :-(
>>> I can't find the file, though. Do you know what it's called?
>> The one in the downloads folder is called
>> '_EnableColorOptionsGMND.package'
>
> Check. Thanks.
>
>> But here is a thought, make your main sims2 folder (C:\Program
>> Files\Ea Games\) a shared folder for all accounts.
>
> Hmm... how do I do that? I found a directory "Shared Documents"... hey!
> Get this, "EA Games/The Sims 2" is in there, but not The Sims University!
> That might explain things. But I don't dare to simply drag it over to that
> file and I don't see any other way. Boy, do I sound helpless. Does it help
> if I tell I'm a computer programmer? :)
>
>> I just found the other file, it's called
>> '_EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package' and it's located in 'C:\Program
>> Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D', so if you share the
>> main EA Games folder then that should solve your problem.
>
> Check.
>
> T.

I don't have university yet so I am not sure here, but isn't it installed
into the EA Games folder under program files too?
Right-click on the EA Games folder and choose properties.
Choose the 'Sharing' tab and then choose the network sharing option..That is
what i did, instead of dragging it to the shared docs folder.

Bluegenie2 wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message

>>> But here is a thought, make your main sims2 folder (C:\Program
>>> Files\Ea Games\) a shared folder for all accounts.
>> Hmm... how do I do that? I found a directory "Shared Documents"...
>> hey! Get this, "EA Games/The Sims 2" is in there, but not The Sims
>> University! That might explain things. But I don't dare to simply
>> drag it over to that file and I don't see any other way. Boy, do I
>> sound helpless. Does it help if I tell I'm a computer programmer?
>> :)
> I don't have university yet so I am not sure here, but isn't it
> installed into the EA Games folder under program files too?
> Right-click on the EA Games folder and choose properties.
> Choose the 'Sharing' tab and then choose the network sharing
> option..That is what i did, instead of dragging it to the shared
> docs
> folder.

But I don't have a network, I just have multiple accounts. I think
I'll try dragging. Soon. Any day now.

T.

Taemon wrote:

> Bluegenie2 wrote:
>> I don't have university yet so I am not sure here, but isn't it
>> installed into the EA Games folder under program files too?
>> Right-click on the EA Games folder and choose properties.
>> Choose the 'Sharing' tab and then choose the network sharing
>> option..That is what i did, instead of dragging it to the shared
>> docs folder.
> But I don't have a network, I just have multiple accounts. I think
> I'll try dragging. Soon. Any day now.

Okay, I dragged. Game didn't start up. Dragged back. Game started up -
everything normal. Phew. But no new downloads. And the old The Sims
2-folder is still in the Shared Documents-file, but with the current
date on it. Weirder and weirder...

Some downloads do show up. Just not all of them. Mostly not.

T.

> Taemon wrote:
>
>> Bluegenie2 wrote:
>>> I don't have university yet so I am not sure here, but isn't it
>>> installed into the EA Games folder under program files too?
>>> Right-click on the EA Games folder and choose properties.
>>> Choose the 'Sharing' tab and then choose the network sharing
>>> option..That is what i did, instead of dragging it to the shared
>>> docs folder.
>> But I don't have a network, I just have multiple accounts. I think
>> I'll try dragging. Soon. Any day now.
>
> Okay, I dragged. Game didn't start up. Dragged back. Game started up -
> everything normal. Phew. But no new downloads. And the old The Sims
> 2-folder is still in the Shared Documents-file, but with the current date
> on it. Weirder and weirder...
>
> Some downloads do show up. Just not all of them. Mostly not.
>
> T.

I don't have a network either, but you notice that it says 'To share this
folder with both network users AND other users of this computer.'

Did you notice that under the documents section of the other user, that it
has a eagames>sims2 folders just like in your documents?
The game made that automatically, but you would need to add a downloads
folder and downloads to that user's sims2.........including the CEP file in
the downloads.

I know that the shortcut on my desktop refers to the sims.exe in the main
programs file, but that is just to start the game, otherwise it refers to
the documents part for getting the objects and such.

Bluegenie2 wrote:

>> Taemon wrote:
>>> But I don't have a network, I just have multiple accounts. I think
>>> I'll try dragging. Soon. Any day now.
>> Okay, I dragged. Game didn't start up. Dragged back. Game started
>> up
>> - everything normal. Phew. But no new downloads. And the old The
>> Sims
>> 2-folder is still in the Shared Documents-file, but with the
>> current
>> date on it. Weirder and weirder...
> I don't have a network either, but you notice that it says 'To share
> this folder with both network users AND other users of this
> computer.'

Yes, but... ititit ASKED for all kind of things and I'm just not at
home in sharing stuff (computerally, that is). Ai, my love is going to
laugh at me... since I always joke my love's from the hardware, I'm
from the software :)

> Did you notice that under the documents section of the other user,
> that it has a eagames>sims2 folders just like in your documents?
> The game made that automatically, but you would need to add a
> downloads folder and downloads to that user's
> sims2.........including
> the CEP file in the downloads.

I have done that, even threw the other one out. It runs from that
account, allright. And some downloads DO show up. Just not all of
them. Is why I thought it might be CEP. But this sharing thing got me
confused. Maybe it's only non-University stuff that shows up.

Well, thanks a bunch for your help, again! I'll try and dig into this
sharing thing further.

T.