Problem with a Network Switch

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hey all!

I recently bought a Linksys 5 port switch because my girlfriend needs wireless internet for her laptop but I don't want my computer behind a router. So I connected the modem to the Switch, the switch to my computer and the switch to the router.
The weird thing is, I can only seem to get 1 internet connection going at a time. If my computer has internet, the router won't get a connection. I can connect to the router wirelessly through the laptop to get into the control panel but I there's no internet. If I unplug my computer and reset the switch, I can get access through a physical wire, but for the life of me I can't get the router to work. The weird thing is if I remove the switch and plug the router directly into the modem, it works fine.

Does a switch not create a second IP for another computer like a router does? If not, how do you get it working? There's 5 ports on the back of the switch for a reason.

I've had this working before in another house so I'm pretty sure its possible... I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
You need a router to connect more than one computer to the internet.
A router allows your computers to "share" your one IP address that your internet provider gave you..

The modem may contain a router, if you had this working before with this equipment.
Google for the difference between a switch and a router.

Why do you not want your computer behind a router?
The internet is full of them :)

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Damn! Yeah, I know the difference between the hardware... I forgot that the switch won't create a second IP and that its only meant for a LAN, though I'm pretty sure that our ISP allows for two IPs... maybe I just have to get them to turn the second one on.

I don't want to be behind a router because they always seem to screw up my internet connection with intermitant drops etc. I've tried Linksys, D-Link and SMC and none of them provide a completely stable connection.

Thanks for the info guys!