Upgrading system will old power supply hold up?

thecouchguy

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hi guys im a long time reader first time post.Still consider myself a noob.

i currently am running a

q6600 (3.2ghz oc), 4 gig ddr2 800mhz,
msi gtx 280 oc
Cooler Master RS-850-EMBA 850W Real Power Pro PSU, SLI Certified, 6 +12 Rails.
thermaltake soprano dx case.
2 seagate 7200 rpm (1 400gig and 1 250 gig).

i will be upgrading to a core
17 920,
Noctura cpu fan (plan to do moderate oc)
rampage 2 extreme (have mobo now).
6 gig ocz 1600mhz
Cooler Master RS-850-EMBA 850W Real Power Pro PSU, SLI Certified, 6 +12 Rails.
thermaltake soprano dx
gtx 280 sli (have a second msi gtx 280 on the way from ebay exact the same as my current one.)
extra drive bay cooling fan and put a fan on the side too (not sure weather to have facing in or out)
2 seagate 7200 rpm.

as you can see i am using some of my old components again and hence the reason for my post. I would never have started the upgrade if not for scoring the second gtx 280 from ebay for $275 AUD. And because i was able to precure an identical car to the one i have i thought i could do a low cost upgrade to the system i have always wanted.I am running a 22inch monitor so i know the cards are ample and want to play crysis, ARMA 2 and Operation Flashpoint 2 and full or almost full settings.

my 2 questions are

I plan to put my two hard drives (maybe just run one for a little while) in the middle bay of my case and remove the bottom drive caddy (so i can get better airflow from the front fan) and put in a drive bay cooling fan (i have 3 extra slots which is perfect) to make air flow through the system better.will this be cool enough for an sli gtx 280 setup? I live in melbourne australia which is cool for 10 months of the year (avg tops of 20) ,and for 2 months can be quite hot.

Also will my power supply hold up? it came with 2 8 pin connectors ready for sli and at the time the 280 was the only card which came with the 8 pin connectors (so i asumed it was designed to run this card in sli). it runs solid at 850 watt, peaks at 1000w and is supposed to be good quality ( i read many reviews before buying). Many reviews said it was better then the antec but perhaps just a whisker behind the corsair 850w.

I saw there have been similar post but i seem to see so many different answers about the power supply. And about the case i know it will all fit as it used to be a good case and ive mesured. But i know it will be a touch snug.

cheers in advance.

thecouchguy

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
well i got it running in a room that was warm but far from cold. ran crysis very high settings 16q aa for an hour (bout 30fps give or take) and temps got to around 85 max. heard its ok and only worry when gets to 90c as these cards run hot. might get a pci slot vent fan to reduce the build up of presure (only one vent fan on my case). lets see how summer goes i guess.