Please help!

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I have a HP a6000n with M2N86-LA motherboard downgraded to XP. I added a 8800 GTS 512mb and it didn't work so I added a 700 watt PSU (it can definately support the 8800 GTS; I know this for a fact) but my screen gets fuzzy and the card does not work. When I use safemode and enter device manager, I can see that the 8800 GTS is there but when I start Windows normally, the problem occurs again. I usually get a black screen or a blue screen with an error "nv4_disp" message. I downloaded the drivers but the moniter turns black or I get a message saying "There was a problem installing this hardware: Video Controller (VGA Compatible) An error occured during the installation of the device Access is denied". I have tried to install the driver, but I can't even download it so it does not work and I have uninstalled the on-board graphics 6150 and it still does not work. Can anyone please help me? Is it the motherboard's fault? How do I "flash" or upgrade my motherboard and BIOS? Thanks.

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
What's reseating? Also, you sure it's not the motherboard's fault? I remember reading somewhere about how this one person had an identical problem but he flashedhis BIOS four times and then it worked. I have a strong feeling that it's the BIOS because the error is about "VGA Compatibility". Any other suggestions or help? Thanks.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
It may have been a coincidence. Generally as long as the card fits in the slot, it'll work. BIOS flashes can go very very wrong, however very infrequently. I like to try as many other things as i can before flashing the BIOS.

If it does come to flashing the BIOS, make sure to do it the proper way. AKA do NOT use software based flashing utilities. So nothing while in windows. If it doesn't involve burning the BIOS to a disk first then it's not the right way :)

Reseating is just taking out out and putting it back in to ensure it's in properly.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
well.... here's how you should have installed the new video card..
1. Uninstall driver for the old one, not really necessary if it's IGP, but a good idea
2. Shut down computer, install new card, plugging in power cable if necessary, plug monitor into new card.
3. Restart, go into BIOS and disable your IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor), and select PCI-E as your primary/first display
4. Restart again into windows, disable/stop any auto installs for your video drivers, then install the newest driver for your new card.
5. One more reboot and you should be good to go.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

^+1 Well said.

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Also, take careful note of the tail end of step 2: "plugging in power cable if necessary' - this referres to the auxiliary power connector on the tail end of the card - this MUST BE PLUGGED IN!! and many PSU's usually have an appropriate connector. If not, an adapter may have been included with your new video card. I can't tell you how many 'stability' problems i've seen with newly installed graphics cards that magically went away after that power jack was correctly plugged in. :)

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

Well I have used a 7600 GT and 7950 GT on my computer without doing anything to the BIOS or uninstalling the IGP drivers, but I did anyways for the 8800 GTS yet it still does not work. I can't even download the newest drivers because there is a VGA compatibility issue error or I get a black screen. I tried to download the drivers many times but it just would not work. I have selected PCI-E as my primary/first display, I have plugged in the power cable, I have plugged the monitor into the new card, and I have installed the newest driver for my card (like I said, won't work or black screen).

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well...you probably have the right driver but just to be safe, here is a link to your cards latest certified nvidia driver:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_186.18_whql.html
-if you dont have the driver above then make sure you have that, also, what type of cable are you using for your video-connection? VGA or DVI? If its DVI, make sure its a short cable because it loses strength after a certain distance (i think its like 5ft or something, not exactly sure, please correct if I am wrong). Also, if your card is overclocked then put it on stock settings, and if its already on stock settings, downclock it a lot to see if that the issue, as a poster above said: it could be a software issue or your card could be lemon :) so troubleshoot to pinpoint which one it is.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

I beleive the signal strength starts to get noticeably worse at around 50ft or so, anything before that should be fine. Not many people run a DVI cable over 15ft anyway.

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Can anyone tell me if my motherboard has PCI-E 1.0 or PCI-E 2.0? My model is the M2N86-LA. I am starting to think my 8800 GTS 512mb is not working because I don't have a PCI-E 2.0. Can anyone verify this? Also, I use a DVI-VGI dongle, not some cable. I am sure it has nothing to do with cables because I have researched about my problem and never heard of a solution related to cables. Also, thanks a lot for your inputs guys, hopefully I'll find a solution!

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

Oh, thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I have been to that site, didn't help me much. That is how I installed my drivers; I downloaded while in safe mode. I can't find the video card in my BIOS though. Also, what is IGP? Thanks for the help guys!

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

I have selected PCI-E as my primary/first display but I don't see an option of disabling my IGP. I don't know if my IGP has any problems because I didn't need to touch it once when I installed my 7600 GT and 7950 GT. Are there any drivers for my motherboard?

"I have tried to install the driver, but I can't even download it so it does not work and I have uninstalled the on-board graphics 6150 and it still does not work." Reinstall it, or switch it back, this should enable it to boot

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "reinstall it, or switch it back, this should enable it to boot"? If you mean the drivers, I have attempted to install the drivers for the 8800 GTS 512mb many times without success with the 8800 GTS inside. I can download the drivers fine without my 8800 GTS inside my computer and every time I do this, I kept a message saying I already have the drivers installed in my computer and asks if I want to reinstall anyways. So yeah, I did install and reinstall the drivers many times but it doesn't really help.

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I just tried putting the card in again and I got a different outcome. Before this recent attempt, my screen was very fuzzy especially when Windows XP started (the loading screen) but now its normal. Problem is, the power light on my moniter turns orange from green (this is the black screen I'm talking about; moniter is inactive but turned on as if the computer was not on) but I know my computer is still running because I hear the Windows startup sound from my speakers and when I forcefully turn off the computer by holding onto the button (by the way, is this bad? I had to do this a lot...) I hear the Windows shutdown tune. Any suggestions? Thanks so far for all your answers.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Force shutdown is not good, infact I actually got a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for my system so it wouldn't force shutdown incase of a power outage :) Its not good for your software since basically all it does is cut of power, and does not allow anything to be saved properly, your hard drive keeps spinning from momentum and etc...

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

Oh... How can I not force shutdown when the screen is black? Also, I found out my on-board graphics isn't working either. I tried using my on-board graphics again but the same exact thing happens as if I am using my 8800 GTS (I get black screen) but everything works fine when I use my 7950 GT again. The thing is, the 7950 GT and 8800 GTS 512mb g92 have the same drivers. I looked for drivers just for 8800 GTS but I couldn't find any so I downloaded the one from the nVidia website only to find out it was the same exact driver as the drivers for the 7, 8, and 9 series (or something, can't quite remember). Anyone know the problem? The 7950 GT works fine, but both the on-board graphics and 8800 GTS is weird and gives me a black screen.

d00d

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Haven't been able to post here in awhile but I was wondering if there is new drivers specifically for the 8800 GTS or is it the driver from the nVidia site? (the one that includes 7, 8, 9, and 200 series).