Replacing a failed PSU - Need Advice

Lume

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
This is the PSU that I had: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182070

I say had because while I was asleep last night it died. I turn my computer off every night but the PSU always stays on and has it's little blue light on. I woke up to the smell of plastic and thought my neighbors were finally getting their pool installed. I tried to turn on my PC and it wouldn't turn on and that's when I realized the smell was from my PC. It didn't take long to identify the PSU as the culprit as it was the only thing on, it was absolutely red hot and smelled horrible at the fans. I have taken it out and now I'm looking to replace it.

I had this one in mind despite it's tendency to arrive DOA according to reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

I have a couple questions about it however, such as the 6+2 pin connectors for the PCI. I have an EVGA GeForce 1GB 9800GT video card and it only has a 6 pin connector, so can I let those +2 pins just hang out not connected to anything?

My other question is about preventing this from happening again. Like I said I was asleep and the PC was turned off. I have no idea how the PSU can overheat like that when the computer isn't even doing anything.

Solution
I wonder if your original PSU is one of the "new, improved" Rosewill's.

The 750TX is one of the most popular power supplies around here. Good, solid, conservative design. And you can pull more than 900 watts out of one before it non-destructively shuts down.

Just tie the two pin block back out of the way. That's all I did. Or just leave it dangling.

Lume

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
It was plugged into a surge protector. I guess those are not 100% guaranteed to work. As far as it killing anything else would there be tell-tale signs until I get a new PSU? Nothing else was even remotely warm or looks any different, the PSU was the only thing that had any sign of change to it.

I wonder if your original PSU is one of the "new, improved" Rosewill's.

The 750TX is one of the most popular power supplies around here. Good, solid, conservative design. And you can pull more than 900 watts out of one before it non-destructively shuts down.

Just tie the two pin block back out of the way. That's all I did. Or just leave it dangling.

Solution

Lume

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
My original PSU was bought in Dec. 2007 but did not get put into use until March of this year. It sat in the box while my brother built the PC and then handed it off to me to complete. I really only got 6 months use out of it.

I was wondering if something other than a surge could have happened to it. Nothing else that was plugged into my surge protector is harmed in any way, the monitor, all my lights, the phone...it all works just fine. I had 4 things plugged into the surge protector, would it really only affect one thing plugged into it like that? Aside from that nothing else in my house is affected including the other 2 computers (which of which is on the other side of the wall from this one), there was no black or brown out, etc.

Any ideas? The only symptoms I have to go on are that it was red hot when I touched it and it smelled like plastic in the room and burned plastic at the fans of the PSU. I think it was hot for an hour or so also, since I smelled it but didn't get out of bed to check because I didn't think the smell was in my house.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

surge protector only protects from sudden high electrical current (fast over-voltage and under-voltage). it doesn't protect from cheap unreliable PSUs.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> Nothing else was even remotely warm or looks any different, the PSU was the only thing that had any sign of change to it.

The ATX standard provides a 5 Volt "stand-by" current
to the motherboard, as long as the ON/OFF switch
on the back of the PSU is ON.

This permits "wake on LAN" and startups from the keyboard.

Better motherboards have an LED that lights up
whenever that SB current is flowing.

I would NOT assume that your motherboard is AOK
until you test it: that kind of PSU failure could have
sent a destructive voltage spike into your motherboard.

If your motherboard has that 5V "SB" indicator light,
be sure to check that first when you install your
new PSU.

MRFS

Lume

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I just got my new PSU and put it in (thank God it wasn't DOA).

It worked fine the first time I turned it on, the second time I put the case back together and plugged in the last little fan on the side of the case. About 30 seconds later I started to smell the plastic again and started to smoke this time. I very quickly turned it off, cut the power, and unplugged the PSU from the case.

I started to sniff around inside the case and most of the smell was from that one little fan. After unplugging it and leaving that side of the case off it has been running for about 20 minutes now with no smells and no problems. I'm watching Speedfan and nothing has been out of the ordinary, etc.

So my final question is could that be my problem? I mean it's obvious that fan has a short or something, but could that be the sole problem or is it a sign of something bigger?

TRENDING THREADS