Cannot overclock G.Skill Ripjaws memory

fashandge

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I have G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) (F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL) memory cards on my ASRock Z68 Pro3 mb. They are currenttly running at rated setting, 9-9-9-24, except the CR is 1T. I tried every possible setting to overclock it from 1600MHz to 2133MHz, but every time the bios simply would not post.

Basically waht I tried to do is to increase DRAM memory to as high as 1.68V, PCH to 1.10V, VTT and VCCSA a little bit higher, and the memory timing to 9-10-9-28, CR to 2T. But the bios could not post even for 1866MHz. I also try to get tighter timings but I could not get into windows 7 or it will show bluescreen at some point when in windows 7.

Note that I've overclocked the i7 2600K CPU to 4.5GHz, by setting Speedstep enabled, and set the max short term/long term power to 130/105, all other things auto and default.

Do you have any suggestions for solving this problem? By the way, will there be significant improvement when the RAM runs at 2133MHz over 1600MHz?

Thanks.

Solution
What you have isn't a problem -- the RAM is running just fine at its rated speed and timings.

If you notice the reviews of Ripjaws X RAM where they are successful in overclocking, it's using the 1600 CL8 version of the RAM. The CL9 version doesn't overclock well, if at all. I've got a 4GB and an 8GB kit of the CL9 Ripjaws X, and neither one overclocks at all -- I can't even reduce the timings.
What you have isn't a problem -- the RAM is running just fine at its rated speed and timings.

If you notice the reviews of Ripjaws X RAM where they are successful in overclocking, it's using the 1600 CL8 version of the RAM. The CL9 version doesn't overclock well, if at all. I've got a 4GB and an 8GB kit of the CL9 Ripjaws X, and neither one overclocks at all -- I can't even reduce the timings.

Solution