CPU Cooler w/o unscrewing the MOBO?

martinduque86

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hello everyone!

Quick question here...

After doing somea reading, I've noticed that most COOLER MASTER CPU Heatsinks require the MOBO to be unscrewed from the case in order to install them (N520, 212+, etc.).

Can anyone recommend me a good $30(ish) CPU Heatskink I could install WITHOUT the need to remove the MOBO from the case?

Thanks in advance! :D

Solution

You can leave it in place unless you are installing a very large HSF that requires you to tighten it from the side. A Cooler Master Hyper 212+ can be installed in place, a Thermalright Silver Arrow requires you to remove the motherboard anyway.
To install ANY heat sink, you should remove the motherboard unless you have a case with a large cutout in the motherboard where the cooler fits.

In theory a push pin cooler like the stock intel coolers can be done in place.
But to insure that all 4 pins are completely pushed through and kocked, you need to be able to look at the back of the motherboard.
If you do not check this, odds are good you will have a loose and inefficient mount.

martinduque86

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Indeed, I will have a case with a CPU cut-out (CM 690 II Advanced) for "easy" heatsink installation.

Will I still have to unscrew the MOBO in order to install a CPU cooler even with the cut-out hole?

You can leave it in place unless you are installing a very large HSF that requires you to tighten it from the side. A Cooler Master Hyper 212+ can be installed in place, a Thermalright Silver Arrow requires you to remove the motherboard anyway.

Solution

martinduque86

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

That's good to know, because a CM 212+ is exactly the kind of CPU cooler I'd like to install eventually. I just wanted to know I could just buy it later and install it w/o removing the mobo and making everything a mess.

Thanks a lot for the info.