Sign in with
Your question

Can my motherboard support a Core 2 Duo or Quad?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 13, 2009 4:02:10 PM

Hello there.

I currently have a Pentium D 3.4 GHz but I'm looking to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad. I'm not completely sure if my motherboard can support it though, so I may need to upgrade. My manufacturer is "INTELR" and my model is "AWRDACPI" (according to dxdiag)

If this motherboard doesn't support Core 2 technology, could you please refer me to a £60-70 motherboard on www.scan.co.uk www.ebuyer.com or www.novatech.co.uk

Just an optional question: Is my current Pentium D bottlenecking my 512mb XFX Radeon HD 5750. If so, can I expect a dramatic increase in GPU performance after upgrading to a Core 2 Quad?

Thank you.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2009 10:13:38 PM

first off, pentium and core 2 have different sockets, so no it wont work.

Asus P5Q SE 2 Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H Intel G41 (Socket 775) MicroATX PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Im going to assume that your in Great Britain (love that country) and these two should work well. Both are from www.novatech.co.uk. Do you use 186 pin ram modules over there, because all of the mobos support 186 pin ram. Also, your pentium is crippling your 5750, and you would see a huge difference in performance. Hope this helped!
December 15, 2009 1:50:53 AM

Quote:
first off, pentium and core 2 have different sockets, so no it wont work.

That's not true. Actually, if this is the Pendium D 950 (which is 3.4Ghz) it does indeed use Socket 775 (which is also used for C2Duo and C2Quad). However, that still does not mean his motherboard will support the Core 2 Duo (and especially Core 2 Quad). He still may be best off purchasing a better motherboard before doing the upgrade.

At this point however, if you're buying a new CPU, and motherboard, you might as well get new RAM. In all, upgrade to a new i5 / i7 setup at this point. Anything less could still somewhat limit your new 5750 (unless you overclock). There are more factors than simply your current CPU.
!