Sign in with
Your question

Airflow problems

Last response: in Components
September 22, 2009 7:58:57 PM

My current case is a Cooler Master Centurion, I am forget the exact model but it is a discontinued mid tower, and I have noticed that with the size of my 4870 graphics cards, the air from the single 120mm intake fan does not have a chance to move up through the gap between the graphics card and the drive bays. This means that my current heatsink, a setup with the fan on the side, is not getting sufficient airflow. There are vents above my cpu for an intake for a vertical heatsink, but these do not provide as much cooling. I need to know whether adding an exhaust fan to the rear of my case (I currently don't have any) would alleviate this problem, or do I need to change my heatsink for one with a fan on top?

More about : airflow problems

a c 144 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2009 8:18:01 PM

It wouldn't cost much to install on the back of the case. Try it and see. If not, maybe you can rotate the HSF on the processor.
m
l
September 22, 2009 8:28:45 PM

Is this a common problem? I don't see many cases with intake fans above the gpu.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2009 2:05:02 AM

you could also try to buy more high end fans for the front and back therefore the airflow should increase.....
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 6:50:40 AM

ghoulsrulefools said:
Is this a common problem? I don't see many cases with intake fans above the gpu.

Antec 900 and 1200 cases, for example, let you move the fans around to where you want them.
m
l
September 26, 2009 6:19:16 PM

I added an exhaust fan behind my cpu and core temps have dropped 10c/
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2009 1:02:39 PM

I have a Centurion 590 adding 2 exhaust fans to the top blowholes will seriously improve cooling, it would help advising you if you knew what Centurion model you have in your possession.
m
l
September 28, 2009 4:03:52 PM

I'm not sure, but the exhaust fan at the rear of the case really helped. My centurion is quite old, so I don't know the model # but it doesn't have any ventilation on the top.
m
l
!