Setting up Synology 110j to perform Vista Backup Image

Forester30

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I recently received a Synology DS110j disk station server. I've got it set up as Lun-2 and 500 GB capacity (entire hard drive is 1.5TB). I've mapped it as an iSCSI target-2 and the initiator has read/write privileges.

When I run the iSCSI initiator tool in Vista-64 as administrator, the windows do not display the diskstation as a target or as discovered in my system. I have a folder mapped in Vista to the diskstation, why is it not showing up in my iSCSI initiator tool?

If I go to the Discovery tab in the tool and type in the IP address under the section for iSNS server for my diskstation Vista gives me the message, "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." This occurs if I type in the IP address w/o the port after it. If I use the port it give me an error, "Target Error".

I've also tried setting up the FTP options in the diskstation and typing in the IP and port for the FTP and get another "Target Error" message if I try to add target portal in the iSCSI tool.

I've never set up a iSCSI connection so I'm at a loss about what I may be doing incorrectly or not doing. Ideally I'd like to have it where my diskstation appears in Vista for a PC image backup option, but right now it just gives me a DVD option and no hard drive choice.

Forester30

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Okay I've downloaded and installed the latest DSM and it is not recognized in the Vista Windows Complete PC Backup screen.

In the iSCSI Initiator properties screen I still can't connect to the diskstation by entering the IP and port in the Discovery tab. Not sure if it's necessary but I went into my diskstation and changed the Network Backup properties to Enable Network Backup Service. I also enabled shared folder sync service.

Anything I can do to get Vista to recognize the diskstation as a backup disk option?

Forester30

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I'm now able to get the iSCSI initiator to recognize the target for my Lun-2 storage on the diskstation. However it still does not appear in the drop down when I go to make a backup from Windows Complete PC Backup wizard. Is there an additional step once I've got it set up in the iSCSI initiator wizard to have it selectable as a backup drive?