USB3.0 Host Controller PCIe Card and Aus P7P55D

G

Sharkoon sell a "USB3.0 Host Controller PCIe", you can view specifications here "http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/zubehoer/usb30_host_controller_card/index_en.html?id=13". Asus P7P55D motherboard have "2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 (2.5GT/s)", give special attention to the information of 2.5GT/s. Can i expect limitations on the absolute maximum transfer rate of the USB 3.0 (5Gbps)? thanks everybody.

G

ty roonj, but can i have FULL usb 3.0 or not with taht expansion card? thats the question, and i think too many people, the buyers of that motherboard, will ask at near future.

haridas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
hi
i dont think there will be any bandwidth limit on usb 3.0 ports. But the total bandwidth of the southbridge will be shared to a great extant because of usb 3.0. If u dont use crossfire/sli there will not be a problem for bandwidth.

what i doubt about recent usb 3.0 boards is that neither amd nor intel themselves have released their host controller for usb 3.0 and motherboard manufacturers are using third party host controller.now the question is whether it is right time to buy a usb 3.0 motherboard or to wait for amd and intel to release their own host controller.
thanking you.