Still can't play

Last response: in Video Games
May 29, 2005 7:22:17 AM

I am still having the birth crashes in my custom neighborhood (the only one
I've been playing for the past several weeks).

I have emailed Maxis back and forth, getting two replies and now dead
silence for the past two days, even with repeated attempts. I can only
assume they have given up, too.

To repeat the problem -- I've got this problem in two families in the
neighborhood. All use custom skins, nothing fancy, just replacement default
skins in the Maxis skintones, but anatomically correct. In one case, a
birth between the husband and wife had taken place without incident, and now
the husband is trying to have an alien baby. The game crashes and
terminates shortly after the "There's a new family member on the way!" box
appears during labor.

In another family, both the male and female have custom skins and have
already had one set of twins without incident. The female is about to pop
with another baby and I saved the game just before the birth sequence so
everytime I re-enter that house, she tries to give birth and the game
crashes and terminates at the above mentioned screen.

The crash logs all say the same thing -- ACCESS_VIOLATION. With no clue as
to what the program is trying to access and can't.

Things I have tried that didn't work:

1. I have tried removing my downloads folder altogether.
2. I have used no hacks for this pregnancy, either to cause it or to speed
it up. I do have the twins/triplets random hack, but that gets removed when
I take out the downloads folder and not having it doesn't make any
difference.
3. I have tried moving the families out of their houses, bulldozing the
lots, rebuilding on another lot in another location on the neighborhood map
and moving them into it.
4. I make sure that all unnecessary background processes are closed before
starting the game. (Maxis' suggestion)
5. I have tried opening the game in a window without sound (Maxis'
suggestion)
6. I have updated the drivers for my video card and sound card. (Maxis'
suggestion)
7. I have performed a chkdisk on my HD and there are no bad sectors on my
disk.
8. I have performed a RAM check and the 768MB of RDRAM I have is fully
functional.
9. I have uninstalled both the Sims2 and University, removed it from the
registry and reinstalled it.
10. I have defragged my computer. I have a 40GB HD that has 10.8GB free
space.
11. I have downloaded and tried J.M. Pescado's badbirth fix at
varioussimmers.
12. I have tried leaving my computer off overnight and starting the game
immediately after rebooting, in case it was some problem with the video card
overheating, going straight into the house with the female who goes into her
birth sequence within one minute after the thing opens.
13. I have tried removing my userStartup cheat file, even though it has
never caused me a problem in the past.

One thing I haven't tried yet is going into a Maxis neighborhood and having
two pre-made Maxis sims make a baby and see if it can be born. That takes a
while to accomplish and with the holiday weekend and all my family in and
out of my own house, I doubt if I can try that until Tuesday at the
earliest.

If I discover that I can no longer have babies, there won't be a whole lot
of point in continuing to try to play this game. Once they all die, the
only way to make new ones is through CAS. 99% of the fun of gameplay is the
genetics and stuff, at least for me.

I'm totally open to suggestions at this point.

Jeanie

More about : play

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 7:22:18 AM

Have you tried having a baby with another family?
Have you tried having another male have a baby? (different family)
Seems you keep trying with that family...........maybe that family is messed
up somehow.

> [...]
> birth sequence within one minute after the thing opens.
> 13. I have tried removing my userStartup cheat file, even though it has
> never caused me a problem in the past.
>
> One thing I haven't tried yet is going into a Maxis neighborhood and
> having
> two pre-made Maxis sims make a baby and see if it can be born. That takes
> while to accomplish and with the holiday weekend and all my family in and
> out of my own house, I doubt if I can try that until Tuesday at the
> earliest.
>
> If I discover that I can no longer have babies, there won't be a whole lot
> of point in continuing to try to play this game. Once they all die, the
> only way to make new ones is through CAS. 99% of the fun of gameplay is
> the
> genetics and stuff, at least for me.
>
> I'm totally open to suggestions at this point.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:21:17 AM

Could it be that your custom skins are interfering with the pregnancy
skins of the regular game? If so, you may have to either find
pregnancy skins for your modded skin or abandon those skins and any
families created with them.
May 29, 2005 2:04:51 PM

Hi Jeanie,

I don't think what I'm going to say will necessarily help much but here goes
anyway.

I have a feeling that the two families you are describing are going to have
to be abandoned and I would suggest trying what Bluegenie suggests - try
having babies, perhaps with a newly created family - and maybe take out your
Downloads folder before you create the family (so it's only Maxis stuff in
there).

I suspect removing the Downloads folder isn't actually making any difference
if your problem is with skins (though it probably helps to temporarily
remove the hacks). The only way to be sure you've completely removed a skin
from the game is to delete it from inside the game (except maybe if you're
using Duddly's default nudes which work differently). What happens is
this - if you delete a custom skin manually from the Downloads folder (or in
your case remove the Downloads folder altogether), you will find when you
re-enter a lot where a sim uses that skin, that he/she is still wearing it.
Why? Because the game stores a copy of the skin file in the lot file.
It's been a while since I did this experiment but it was consistent every
time. It might vary with the different set ups people have (as so much of
the game seems to) as, when I discussed this at mod the sims 2, several
people told me they didn't have this problem - several others had observed
it though, so your set up might be like mine. I think, BTW, that the sim
might have to be actually WEARING the skin at the time - if it's just in the
wardrobe, I think it might just get deleted when you open up the lot. If
you delete the skin from inside the game - say by using CAS or Bodyshop -
the game does a sort of house-keeping routine and will remove all instances
of the file from the game including any stored on sims in lots in the game.
That's one of the reasons that the best way to remove custom content is from
within the game itself. It should, however, reset when you move the family
out and then put them on a new lot which is why that method is often helpful
to overcome problems. When you moved the family out and onto another lot,
was it one of the occasions when you had Downloads removed? I think you
have established it's not a memory problem (basically Maxis's solution).
Unfortunately, the game does it's house-keeping routines (e.g. finding
instances of missing files and removing them from lots) at all sorts of
points in the game, including during LOADING. This is often why things seem
to go wrong even when you don't save after a corruption and go in again
fresh. What I might suggest is this: work out what custom skins your
(whole) family is using and go into Bodyshop or CAS and remove them from
within the game (and I mean clothes as well as body tones). If it is a
skin, it's probably only one skin that's causing the problem (and likely to
be one the pregnant person is wearing but I'd remove the lot to be sure) but
loosing half a dozen or so would be worth it for the satisfaction of making
the bloody thing work. In fact, if you have to remove several, I'd remove
one or two at a time, go back to the lot and let the game adjust the sims -
if it's already having problems, I'd take it one step at a time. This might
be a bit tricky since you probably don't have much time before the birth is
set to occur. The only other thing I would say is make sure all your
Downloads files are set to maximum accessibility - no read only files in
there. I've a horrid feeling though that this isn't a skin problem but I
really can't guess at what else it might be.

Best wishes
Maxon

> [...]
> birth sequence within one minute after the thing opens.
> 13. I have tried removing my userStartup cheat file, even though it has
> never caused me a problem in the past.
>
> One thing I haven't tried yet is going into a Maxis neighborhood and
having
> two pre-made Maxis sims make a baby and see if it can be born. That takes
> while to accomplish and with the holiday weekend and all my family in and
> out of my own house, I doubt if I can try that until Tuesday at the
> earliest.
>
> If I discover that I can no longer have babies, there won't be a whole lot
> of point in continuing to try to play this game. Once they all die, the
> only way to make new ones is through CAS. 99% of the fun of gameplay is
the
> genetics and stuff, at least for me.
>
> I'm totally open to suggestions at this point.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:49:21 PM

Jeanie wrote:
> [...]
> birth sequence within one minute after the thing opens.
> 13. I have tried removing my userStartup cheat file, even though it has
> never caused me a problem in the past.
>
> One thing I haven't tried yet is going into a Maxis neighborhood and having
> two pre-made Maxis sims make a baby and see if it can be born. That takes a
> while to accomplish and with the holiday weekend and all my family in and
> out of my own house, I doubt if I can try that until Tuesday at the
> earliest.
>
> If I discover that I can no longer have babies, there won't be a whole lot
> of point in continuing to try to play this game. Once they all die, the
> only way to make new ones is through CAS. 99% of the fun of gameplay is the
> genetics and stuff, at least for me.
>
> I'm totally open to suggestions at this point.

It seems to me that the problem is happening just as the game puts the
"adult" sim back in to their "regular" clothes. Now, i'm not entirely
sure how the game pulls skins and applies them, but is it possible that
something has been corrupted with the custom skin, and as it tries to go
back to "normal" clothes, skintones, etc (ie not maternity), it cannot
access the file properly? (hence, access violation?)

just my very uninformed 2c

~Lerren
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 6:17:51 PM

Maxon wrote:
> Hi Jeanie,
>
> I don't think what I'm going to say will necessarily help much but
> here goes anyway.

I appreciate you taking the time to try to help.

> I have a feeling that the two families you are describing are going
> to have to be abandoned and I would suggest trying what Bluegenie
> suggests - try having babies, perhaps with a newly created family -
> and maybe take out your Downloads folder before you create the family
> (so it's only Maxis stuff in there).

I'm afraid I'll have to abandon them, too. It wouldn't matter so much, but
these are the sims of my daughter and her boyfriend and we've played them
through teen years and university and into a marriage and a house and now
babies. LOL The whole neighborhood is kids they know and we had such fun
creating all the sims in Body Shop until they all look exactly like the
people. I will try what you suggest, creating a new family and trying them
in a new house. But it won't happen until Tuesday because my husband is
home till then.

> I suspect removing the Downloads folder isn't actually making any
> difference if your problem is with skins (though it probably helps to
> temporarily remove the hacks). The only way to be sure you've
> completely removed a skin from the game is to delete it from inside
> the game (except maybe if you're using Duddly's default nudes which
> work differently).

I know I do have Duddly's default skins, and I'm pretty sure that's what all
the sims in that neighborhood have for skintones. I use it routinely.

What happens is
> this - if you delete a custom skin manually from the Downloads folder
> (or in your case remove the Downloads folder altogether), you will
> find when you re-enter a lot where a sim uses that skin, that he/she
> is still wearing it. Why? Because the game stores a copy of the skin
> file in the lot file.

I know they still have on their skintones, but the clothing all reverted to
Maxis clothes after I removed the downloads folder. At least the clothing
on the toddlers did. The mother was in the Maxis maternity stuff and the
father has on Maxis clothes to begin with.

> It's been a while since I did this experiment but it was consistent
> every time. It might vary with the different set ups people have (as
> so much of the game seems to) as, when I discussed this at mod the
> sims 2, several people told me they didn't have this problem -
> several others had observed it though, so your set up might be like
> mine. I think, BTW, that the sim might have to be actually WEARING
> the skin at the time - if it's just in the wardrobe, I think it might
> just get deleted when you open up the lot. If you delete the skin
> from inside the game - say by using CAS or Bodyshop - the game does a
> sort of house-keeping routine and will remove all instances of the
> file from the game including any stored on sims in lots in the game.

What if I delete a skintone, though, from within the game? Will all the
sims wearing that skintone revert to an appropriate colored Maxis skintone?
I don't know how they create skintones, but with custom hair, a lot of time
a blonde long hair style on men will suddenly revert to the close cropped
black hair if you remove the downloads folder! That's a bit startling.

> That's one of the reasons that the best way to remove custom content
> is from within the game itself. It should, however, reset when you
> move the family out and then put them on a new lot which is why that
> method is often helpful to overcome problems. When you moved the
> family out and onto another lot, was it one of the occasions when you
> had Downloads removed?

You mean, did I create a house without downloads and then move the family
in? No. I didn't do that. That's one more thing to try, I expect.

I think you have established it's not a
> memory problem (basically Maxis's solution). Unfortunately, the game
> does it's house-keeping routines (e.g. finding instances of missing
> files and removing them from lots) at all sorts of points in the
> game, including during LOADING. This is often why things seem to go
> wrong even when you don't save after a corruption and go in again
> fresh.

That makes perfect sense.

What I might suggest is this: work out what custom skins your
> (whole) family is using and go into Bodyshop or CAS and remove them
> from within the game (and I mean clothes as well as body tones). If
> it is a skin, it's probably only one skin that's causing the problem

And that makes sense, too, since most of my sims are wearing the same skin
tone.

> (and likely to be one the pregnant person is wearing but I'd remove
> the lot to be sure) but loosing half a dozen or so would be worth it
> for the satisfaction of making the bloody thing work. In fact, if
> you have to remove several, I'd remove one or two at a time, go back
> to the lot and let the game adjust the sims - if it's already having
> problems, I'd take it one step at a time.

In this case, I think there is only the one skintone in question since the
clothing is Maxis standard maternity.

This might be a bit tricky
> since you probably don't have much time before the birth is set to
> occur. The only other thing I would say is make sure all your
> Downloads files are set to maximum accessibility - no read only files
> in there. I've a horrid feeling though that this isn't a skin
> problem but I really can't guess at what else it might be.

Ok. All of my downloads are read-only. That's a point there. I was not
aware that they shouldn't be. I'll change that and try again.

Jeanie

> [...]
>> female who goes into her birth sequence within one minute after the
>> thing opens.
>> 13. I have tried removing my userStartup cheat file, even though it
>> has never caused me a problem in the past.
>>
>> One thing I haven't tried yet is going into a Maxis neighborhood and
>> having two pre-made Maxis sims make a baby and see if it can be
>> born. That takes a while to accomplish and with the holiday weekend
>> and all my family in and out of my own house, I doubt if I can try
>> that until Tuesday at the earliest.
>>
>> If I discover that I can no longer have babies, there won't be a
>> whole lot of point in continuing to try to play this game. Once
>> they all die, the only way to make new ones is through CAS. 99% of
>> the fun of gameplay is the genetics and stuff, at least for me.
>>
>> I'm totally open to suggestions at this point.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:21:37 PM

> Maxon wrote:
> > Hi Jeanie,
> >
> I know I do have Duddly's default skins, and I'm pretty sure that's what
all
> the sims in that neighborhood have for skintones. I use it routinely.
>
> What happens is
> > this - if you delete a custom skin manually from the Downloads folder
> > (or in your case remove the Downloads folder altogether), you will
> > find when you re-enter a lot where a sim uses that skin, that he/she
> > is still wearing it. Why? Because the game stores a copy of the skin
> > file in the lot file.
>
> I know they still have on their skintones, but the clothing all reverted
> Maxis clothes after I removed the downloads folder. At least the clothing
> on the toddlers did. The mother was in the Maxis maternity stuff and the
> father has on Maxis clothes to begin with.

OK - well, that doesn't sound like my set up because that's not what
happened for me - the toddlers would still have been wearing the custom
clothes.

> > It's been a while since I did this experiment but it was consistent
> > every time. It might vary with the different set ups people have (as
> > so much of the game seems to) as, when I discussed this at mod the
> > sims 2, several people told me they didn't have this problem -
> > several others had observed it though, so your set up might be like
> > mine. I think, BTW, that the sim might have to be actually WEARING
> > the skin at the time - if it's just in the wardrobe, I think it might
> > just get deleted when you open up the lot. If you delete the skin
> > from inside the game - say by using CAS or Bodyshop - the game does a
> > sort of house-keeping routine and will remove all instances of the
> > file from the game including any stored on sims in lots in the game.
>
> What if I delete a skintone, though, from within the game? Will all the
> sims wearing that skintone revert to an appropriate colored Maxis
skintone?
> I don't know how they create skintones, but with custom hair, a lot of
time
> a blonde long hair style on men will suddenly revert to the close cropped
> black hair if you remove the downloads folder! That's a bit startling.

Well, yes, a skin tone is just a skin. I think it might depend on which
skin tone was used as the basis for the new custom one. So you might well
get dark skin where once you had light. Then again the process might be
completely random. You'd have to use SimPE to change it.

> > That's one of the reasons that the best way to remove custom content
> > is from within the game itself. It should, however, reset when you
> > move the family out and then put them on a new lot which is why that
> > method is often helpful to overcome problems. When you moved the
> > family out and onto another lot, was it one of the occasions when you
> > had Downloads removed?
>
> You mean, did I create a house without downloads and then move the family
> in? No. I didn't do that. That's one more thing to try, I expect.

I'm not sure what you mean - what I mean is, when you moved the family
around, if Downloads was removed then the only options left to the game, if
it had to reset some stuff, was Maxis original material.

> I think you have established it's not a
> > memory problem (basically Maxis's solution). Unfortunately, the game
> > does it's house-keeping routines (e.g. finding instances of missing
> > files and removing them from lots) at all sorts of points in the
> > game, including during LOADING. This is often why things seem to go
> > wrong even when you don't save after a corruption and go in again
> > fresh.
>
> That makes perfect sense.
>
> What I might suggest is this: work out what custom skins your
> > (whole) family is using and go into Bodyshop or CAS and remove them
> > from within the game (and I mean clothes as well as body tones). If
> > it is a skin, it's probably only one skin that's causing the problem
>
> And that makes sense, too, since most of my sims are wearing the same skin
> tone.
>
> > (and likely to be one the pregnant person is wearing but I'd remove
> > the lot to be sure) but loosing half a dozen or so would be worth it
> > for the satisfaction of making the bloody thing work. In fact, if
> > you have to remove several, I'd remove one or two at a time, go back
> > to the lot and let the game adjust the sims - if it's already having
> > problems, I'd take it one step at a time.
>
> In this case, I think there is only the one skintone in question since the
> clothing is Maxis standard maternity.
>
> This might be a bit tricky
> > since you probably don't have much time before the birth is set to
> > occur. The only other thing I would say is make sure all your
> > Downloads files are set to maximum accessibility - no read only files
> > in there. I've a horrid feeling though that this isn't a skin
> > problem but I really can't guess at what else it might be.
>
> Ok. All of my downloads are read-only. That's a point there. I was not
> aware that they shouldn't be. I'll change that and try again.

I really don't know what the position is on this. With Sims 1, you could
have everything read only and that was fine. I can't see why that shouldn't
work with Sims 2 as well since there is no need to write over any of the
custom content files but it might be worth a try since you are getting an
'access violation' message. We do know that the game does re-write custom
content package files in certain circumstances - basically during
installation (if you use the Sims2Pack installer method) so maybe they are
meant to be read-write all the time. Also, did you follow and read that
link to the Various Simmers forum page about problems with the baby part of
custom skins causing problems? Sounds eerily similar to what you are
describing. Who posted it - Madame Min, I think.

Best wishes
Maxon
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 11:21:38 PM

Mmm, no - I don't think it works like that. The skin tone will be the same
for the pregnant sim as well as the non-pregnant sim - it's just the mesh
that gets changed during pregnancy and that's part of the original game.
The skin tones, custom or not, get wrapped around all the meshes - fit, fat
or pregnant, young or old. In other words, there's no such thing as a
pregnancy skin tone - there are special clothes for pregnancy but they're
always Maxis ones anyway (at least at the moment).

Best wishes
Maxon

"DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in message
> Could it be that your custom skins are interfering with the pregnancy
> skins of the regular game? If so, you may have to either find
> pregnancy skins for your modded skin or abandon those skins and any
> families created with them.

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 12:32:37 AM

>> What if I delete a skintone, though, from within the game? Will all
>> the sims wearing that skintone revert to an appropriate colored
>> Maxis skintone? I don't know how they create skintones, but with
>> custom hair, a lot of time a blonde long hair style on men will
>> suddenly revert to the close cropped black hair if you remove the
>> downloads folder! That's a bit startling.
>
> Well, yes, a skin tone is just a skin. I think it might depend on
> which skin tone was used as the basis for the new custom one. So you
> might well get dark skin where once you had light. Then again the
> process might be completely random. You'd have to use SimPE to
> change it.

Oh, Gawd, I hate simPE. It's far too complicated for me. Every time I try
to change something in there I start to panic just before I hit commit. But
I suppose I will have to get over that. I do miss SimEnhancer. It was well
worth the $20 it cost, IMO. There was a new one written for Sims2, but not
for University, at least not yet.

>> You mean, did I create a house without downloads and then move the
>> family in? No. I didn't do that. That's one more thing to try, I
>> expect.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean - what I mean is, when you moved the family
> around, if Downloads was removed then the only options left to the
> game, if it had to reset some stuff, was Maxis original material.

Yes, now I understand. I tried that. Didn't work.

> I really don't know what the position is on this. With Sims 1, you
> could have everything read only and that was fine. I can't see why
> that shouldn't work with Sims 2 as well since there is no need to
> write over any of the custom content files but it might be worth a
> try since you are getting an 'access violation' message. We do know
> that the game does re-write custom content package files in certain
> circumstances - basically during installation (if you use the
> Sims2Pack installer method) so maybe they are meant to be read-write
> all the time. Also, did you follow and read that link to the Various
> Simmers forum page about problems with the baby part of custom skins
> causing problems? Sounds eerily similar to what you are describing.
> Who posted it - Madame Min, I think.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

Yes, I did follow that and read everything diligently. But I keep thinking
that if it were a problem with a skintone not having an infant skin assigned
to it, wouldn't that have shown up in the first pregnancy this sim went
through? She successfully delivered twins that have grown into toddlers.
And toddlers have grown into children using this same skintone in other
households. In fact, I've been using this skintone a lot in the game for
weeks and have had many births without a hitch. Is is possible that the
skintone somehow lost it's ability to find the infant one?

Jeanie
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 12:36:23 AM

> It seems to me that the problem is happening just as the game puts the
> "adult" sim back in to their "regular" clothes. Now, i'm not entirely
> sure how the game pulls skins and applies them, but is it possible
> that something has been corrupted with the custom skin, and as it
> tries to go back to "normal" clothes, skintones, etc (ie not
> maternity), it cannot access the file properly? (hence, access
> violation?)
>
> just my very uninformed 2c
>
> ~Lerren

Hmmmm....possibly. But putting her back in her non-pregnant mesh (which is
what I assume you mean) doesn't happen for a while after that screen goes
away. I mean, she still has to squat and spin before coming up with the
baby in her arms.

I've got some more experimenting to do, I think.

Jeanie
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:24:18 AM

Bluegenie2 wrote:
> Have you tried having a baby with another family?
> Have you tried having another male have a baby? (different family)
> Seems you keep trying with that family...........maybe that family is
> messed up somehow.

Ok, I have tried having a baby with three other families in that
neighborhood. No go.

Maybe the whole neighborhood is corrupted. I've played the damn thing
through an entire generation and now it looks like I have to scrap it.
Damn.

I heard again from Maxis. This time they told me to uninstall everything
again, reinstall Sims2, then go get the patch, install it, then reinstall
University. They also told me to go to the Intel website and download the
updated Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility for the chipset on my
motherboard. I did that, too. It still didn't work.

Since I've reinstalled everything, the Maxis neighborhoods were all reset,
so I went back to good ol' Brandi Broke and sent her through her pregnancy,
which went off like clockwork.

Maybe it is just bad custom skins. Before I scrap the whole neighborhood, I
want to try something, but I'll start a new thread about it so I can find
the answers. (And I sure do hope someone out there has them! LOL)

Jeanie

> [...]
>> birth sequence within one minute after the thing opens.
>> 13. I have tried removing my userStartup cheat file, even though it
>> has never caused me a problem in the past.
>>
>> One thing I haven't tried yet is going into a Maxis neighborhood and
>> having
>> two pre-made Maxis sims make a baby and see if it can be born. That
>> takes a
>> while to accomplish and with the holiday weekend and all my family
>> in and out of my own house, I doubt if I can try that until Tuesday
>> at the earliest.
>>
>> If I discover that I can no longer have babies, there won't be a
>> whole lot of point in continuing to try to play this game. Once
>> they all die, the only way to make new ones is through CAS. 99% of
>> the fun of gameplay is the
>> genetics and stuff, at least for me.
>>
>> I'm totally open to suggestions at this point.

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:44:48 AM

> I have emailed Maxis back and forth, getting two replies and now dead
> silence for the past two days, even with repeated attempts. I can only
> assume they have given up, too.

E-mailing Maxis is like praying to God... you have to wonder if any of them
truly exist.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:00:45 AM

Simmie Simmerson wrote:
>> I have emailed Maxis back and forth, getting two replies and now dead
>> silence for the past two days, even with repeated attempts. I can
>> only assume they have given up, too.
>
> E-mailing Maxis is like praying to God... you have to wonder if any
> of them truly exist.

Well, to give the devil his due, they have replied with four different
suggestions over the past four days.

None of them actually worked, mind you, but they did reply.....

Jeanie
May 30, 2005 1:36:58 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 00:24:18 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

>Bluegenie2 wrote:
>> Have you tried having a baby with another family?
>> Have you tried having another male have a baby? (different family)
>> Seems you keep trying with that family...........maybe that family is
>> messed up somehow.
>
>Ok, I have tried having a baby with three other families in that
>neighborhood. No go.
>
>Maybe the whole neighborhood is corrupted. I've played the damn thing
>through an entire generation and now it looks like I have to scrap it.
>Damn.

My experience is that neighbourhoods often get corrupted for no reason
even when you don't have custom content in the game. Only solution
seems to be to pack the lots and reinstall the game and put the lots
back. I think it's just another Maxis-made bug:-(
May 30, 2005 1:39:50 PM

>Oh, Gawd, I hate simPE. It's far too complicated for me. Every time I try
>to change something in there I start to panic just before I hit commit. But
>I suppose I will have to get over that. I do miss SimEnhancer. It was well

And I thought I was the only one who doesn't like SimPE. I could have
lived with it if it wasn't so damned slow. Takes forever to do
anything with that program.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:39:51 PM

"Strider" <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote in message

>>Oh, Gawd, I hate simPE. It's far too complicated for me. Every time I
>>try
>>to change something in there I start to panic just before I hit commit.
>>But
>>I suppose I will have to get over that. I do miss SimEnhancer. It was
>>well
>
> And I thought I was the only one who doesn't like SimPE. I could have
> lived with it if it wasn't so damned slow. Takes forever to do
> anything with that program.

You don't have the latest one do you (just came out a day or so ago). The
program is still in alpha, meaning it is being improved all the time, so you
might want to check it out again. It uses cacheing now so to make it a bit
faster. And it will take longer to load if you have a lot of custom stuff
in the game.............just like the game takes longer to load too.
I hate to think where we would be without Simpe.
And hey let's talk about the Maxis programs here too. Homecrafter and
bodyshop both take forever to load. Both of them take longer with custom
stuff in the game too. So I guess if you are going to have custom stuff,
need to learn to put up with the programs loading slower.

Also, everytime you update simpe, uninstall the old version
completely........deleting the install folder and everything, then
reinstall. It works better that way.

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:03:46 PM

> Well, yes, a skin tone is just a skin. I think it might depend on
> which skin tone was used as the basis for the new custom one. So you
> might well get dark skin where once you had light. Then again the
> process might be completely random. You'd have to use SimPE to
> change it.

Ok, I decided to try to do this, and I cannot figure out for the life of me
how to accomplissh that with SimPE. When I try to hit the Sim Surgery
Plugin, the program stops responding all together and crashes.

I think I am well and truly screwed.

And I didn't even get a kiss.....

*sigh*

Jeanie
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:54:55 PM

Jeanie wrote:

>>Well, yes, a skin tone is just a skin. I think it might depend on
>>which skin tone was used as the basis for the new custom one. So you
>>might well get dark skin where once you had light. Then again the
>>process might be completely random. You'd have to use SimPE to
>>change it.
>

> Ok, I decided to try to do this, and I cannot figure out for the life of me
> how to accomplissh that with SimPE. When I try to hit the Sim Surgery
> Plugin, the program stops responding all together and crashes.
>
> I think I am well and truly screwed.
>
> And I didn't even get a kiss.....
>
> *sigh*
>
> Jeanie

*SMOOOCH*

-georg
(vaguely helpful)
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:08:26 PM

georg wrote:
> Jeanie wrote:
>
>>> Well, yes, a skin tone is just a skin. I think it might depend on
>>> which skin tone was used as the basis for the new custom one. So
>>> you might well get dark skin where once you had light. Then again
>>> the process might be completely random. You'd have to use SimPE to
>>> change it.
>>

>> Ok, I decided to try to do this, and I cannot figure out for the
>> life of me how to accomplissh that with SimPE. When I try to hit
>> the Sim Surgery Plugin, the program stops responding all together
>> and crashes.
>>
>> I think I am well and truly screwed.
>>
>> And I didn't even get a kiss.....
>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Jeanie
>
> *SMOOOCH*
>
> -georg
> (vaguely helpful)

LOL! Thank you. That's the kindest thing that has happened to me connected
to this game so far in the past 6 days. <g>

Jeanie
May 30, 2005 10:50:07 PM

>You don't have the latest one do you (just came out a day or so ago). The

Yes, I do.

>program is still in alpha, meaning it is being improved all the time, so you
>might want to check it out again. It uses cacheing now so to make it a bit
>faster. And it will take longer to load if you have a lot of custom stuff

Things hasn't changed much, if you want to edit a sim you have to load
the Sim browser and select a sim, if you want to edit another sim you
have to load the sim browser again. If you have many sims to edit the
program is still far to slow.If the sim browser could just have stayed
up the way it does in Simenhancer it would have been a big
improvement. Simenhancer is much faster but it's not compatible with
University.

>in the game.............just like the game takes longer to load too.

Yes, but think how slow the game would be if you had to load it again
every time you changed control from one sim to another.

>I hate to think where we would be without Simpe.
>And hey let's talk about the Maxis programs here too. Homecrafter and
>bodyshop both take forever to load. Both of them take longer with custom
>stuff in the game too. So I guess if you are going to have custom stuff,
>need to learn to put up with the programs loading slower.

I've never tried Homecrafter, but you don't have to load Bodyshop for
every sim you create.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:50:08 PM

>>You don't have the latest one do you (just came out a day or so ago). The
>
> Yes, I do.
>
>>program is still in alpha, meaning it is being improved all the time, so
>>you
>>might want to check it out again. It uses cacheing now so to make it a
>>bit
>>faster. And it will take longer to load if you have a lot of custom stuff
>
> Things hasn't changed much, if you want to edit a sim you have to load
> the Sim browser and select a sim, if you want to edit another sim you
> have to load the sim browser again. If you have many sims to edit the
> program is still far to slow.If the sim browser could just have stayed
> up the way it does in Simenhancer it would have been a big
> improvement. Simenhancer is much faster but it's not compatible with
> University.
>

>>in the game.............just like the game takes longer to load too.
>
> Yes, but think how slow the game would be if you had to load it again
> every time you changed control from one sim to another.

Welcome to my world :)  I work with objects, not sims, so when I make new
objects I have to open the game to check them, close it to fix whatever
needs fixing, open again to check, close again to fix.............etc.

>>I hate to think where we would be without Simpe.
>>And hey let's talk about the Maxis programs here too. Homecrafter and
>>bodyshop both take forever to load. Both of them take longer with custom
>>stuff in the game too. So I guess if you are going to have custom stuff,
>>need to learn to put up with the programs loading slower.
>
> I've never tried Homecrafter, but you don't have to load Bodyshop for
> every sim you create.

You do in the game.........the create a sim part.

You did not say if you uninstalled completely when you updated to the newest
version of simpe.............did you?
May 31, 2005 3:08:08 PM

>>>in the game.............just like the game takes longer to load too.
>>
>> Yes, but think how slow the game would be if you had to load it again
>> every time you changed control from one sim to another.
>
>Welcome to my world :)  I work with objects, not sims, so when I make new
>objects I have to open the game to check them, close it to fix whatever
>needs fixing, open again to check, close again to fix.............etc.

I know my talents and object making isn't one of them. I'm not really
a very creative person, all kinds of art goes straight over my head
unless it's litterature which I understand - and some music which was
a necessity after the library locked me out for borrowing too many
books:-) I just need a program to edit sims.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:08:09 PM

>>> Yes, but think how slow the game would be if you had to load it again
>>> every time you changed control from one sim to another.
>>
>>Welcome to my world :)  I work with objects, not sims, so when I make new
>>objects I have to open the game to check them, close it to fix whatever
>>needs fixing, open again to check, close again to fix.............etc.
>
> I know my talents and object making isn't one of them. I'm not really
> a very creative person, all kinds of art goes straight over my head
> unless it's litterature which I understand - and some music which was
> a necessity after the library locked me out for borrowing too many
> books:-) I just need a program to edit sims.

:)
I cheat a bit and use bryce to view my edited textures. It opens a lot
faster than the sims and displays most things just as well.

!