Need to introduce mobo to HD for first time

cappy k

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Hi guys....just finished moving all to a new case........HD has win xp on it and i want to introduce the mobo so i can get win xp to run.....mobo and HD have never met, ........... I need to know how to get it all to work with the operating system.......I tried changing boot order to boot from the xp cd but it's not working after following all choices.........any help would be greatly appreciated............thanks.."K"

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Well , you need to speak in a clear even tone- motherboard this is harddrive-harddrive this is motherboard.
Just for clarification "moving all to new case" does this indicate you moved just a harddrive to a completely new computer?
Is the harddrive an Ide model or a Sata model?
Ide drives use a wide 40 pin cable and they have a colored stipe on one side identifying pin one which must match at each end. Sata on the other hand would be pretty tough to get wrong.
What does the bios say? Can you provide any clue that you have any idea what you're doing.

cappy k

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Ok roonj, I appreciate your help , but try not to get too upset.........I took the hard drive from one pc, and yes it's a Ide model, with the right connection to the ribbon cable...............I took the mobo from my other pc with all its mem and processor...and put these components into a third new case.......the hard drive has windows xp already on it from when it was in it's original case........so what i need to know is how to get it all together and have the mobo work in sync with the said hard drive, so I can go on with other things in life.......i really just want to see windows xp boot up and watch aol say "welcome, you've got mail"....that's all my brother. I know that when you move things around , things happen, but there could be an answer.....The bios by the way shows all components are present, it's just a matter of everything agreeing that it's good to be here............Thank you for your efforts........and I understand we are not all experts..but i'm workin on it, are'nt I!

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
To relate to a similar past problem, motherboard stud height , type of metal , if metal, different from new case, the psu, and even how much air in front of the drives have given me problems.

also, if you remember the screens in the bios, see if anyhting new came up, or if something went missing.

I often go from secc to secc cases, and even swappowers with n problems. but if the case is too different, there is anomilies to beware of.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
it may not ever work you had a loaded copy of xp with a certain motherboard..

microsoft has copy protection so you will have to reactivate it even if you do get it to boot into windows.

cappy k

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Hey bdg................no..........no.............and no............. i see what you went through...............but thats not it...it's just a matter of my hard drive understanding that there's a new kid in town (mobo) and cooperating together so that xp can fire up .........evrything else is good, no sparks, no flames...............thanks again brother.

cappy k

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
ok guys...........lets just forget it...too complicated..........another HD, format, clean xp install.................all is up and running.............boom,bang, bing........case closed......... thank you for all of your responses.................you guys make this site what it is, and it's good to know that we can get help when things get crazy.........Thanks again.......................cappy k