Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I need help.Just replaced a 500 watt psu with an ocz 700 watt modular psu.When i went to start it i heard a pop then I heard a jingling noise like something was rubbing the fan.When I opened up the case I saw the cpu fan wwire may have entangled in the psu fan at start up.Now I get no power signal lights on my case,no picture on monitior but case fans and cpu fans work.Could a power surge from the entangled wire cause the mobo to blowout.Would the fans still work if the mobo blew?I replaced the old psu back in and I get the same results.How can I trouble shoot this or should I just get a new mobo.Thanks

Inspect the board for damage carefully. That's what the manufacturer will do before they send you a replacement. I once installed a floppy modular cable wrong, and the modular wire started smoking. I shut down the pc, but fortunately, just the one cable was ruined.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I'm assuming the new psu is not the problem as the old psu yields the same results after I put it back.Checked all video card,pci slots and ram.All connected.The dvd does run as well as the case fans and cpu fan but get a blank screen(no boot) and no power indicater lights on the case.Checked all wiring going to mobo from case on off switch.Still nothing.I am beginning to think maybe at start with the new psu the wire caused the psu fan to jam causing a surge

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I'll do that now.Maybe the force of the psu fan pulling the wire bent the psu fan contacts and shorted them .Thank you