2600k Overlcock issue with EIST

seraphynx

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
i ave a asus z68-v pro MB with my 2600k and just starting trying to overclock and found an issue. If EIST is on my multiplier will not change. Not matter what I set it to in the bios its max is 34 and will throttle down to like 16 when idle according to cpuid. With EIST off I can change the turbo multiplier to anything i need upto 59 and it changes fine but it will not throttle down at all at idle just sits at whatever I set it to. But as soon as I enable EIST the multiplier goes back to its max of 34. Anyone know why this is happening I thought you should be able to OC and use EIST

oke139

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
EIST stands for Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology. What that does is throttle down your system when your computer is idle, it will power up when your gaming or doing something resources consuming. Run Prime95 or something and you will see it will go up.
That technology is useful if your living in a country where electricity costs a ton, as the computer will consume less power. Also its good for your chip, as higher your clock is the shorter the lifespan of your PC.