PSU White LED light

ballerchris33

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Just build a new system. And I have run into a problem. When I try to power on for the first time, the power supply beeps once and turns on a white led light which according to coolermaster is a power failure indicator. http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/product/2750/feature02.jpg. Does that mean the power supply is no good or what?

It is a COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W.

Solution
Disconnect ALL peripherals, cards, and remove the memory. Try again with only the TWO mobo power cords installed. If that works OK, add memory and try. add HD and try. Add vidcard and try.

If that fails, disconnect ALL peripherals, cards, and remove the memory. Take the mobo out of the case (to eliminate a case short). Connect power to mobo and try again. If that works, follow above until it fails or succeeds.

If all that fails, you either have a bad mobo or a bad psu.
Disconnect ALL peripherals, cards, and remove the memory. Try again with only the TWO mobo power cords installed. If that works OK, add memory and try. add HD and try. Add vidcard and try.

If that fails, disconnect ALL peripherals, cards, and remove the memory. Take the mobo out of the case (to eliminate a case short). Connect power to mobo and try again. If that works, follow above until it fails or succeeds.

If all that fails, you either have a bad mobo or a bad psu.

Solution

ballerchris33

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Did all that. I think that It is most likely the power supply. I was reading a review on newegg and someone reported the same thing and he had to RMA.

"The Power supply I received was DOA. I took pains in running all the wires throughout the case only to discover that it was dead as a hammer. I tried it in two other systems: the same story. The only activity I saw was the white LED on the back illuminate when it was supposedly "on." I metered a few 12v and 5v connections in the acclaimed "on" state and it was outputting, but at less than 1v."

ballerchris33

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I got it to work. I disconnected everything. And started with only the mobo and psu. And it worked. So then i went part by part. I think i connected one of the psu wires to the motherboard in the wrong place and apparently the alert system kicked in, not allowing it to power up. Thanks for the help