Sign in with
Your question

No Boot, No Power (read all stickies)

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2009 6:55:52 PM

When I hit the power switch, I get nothing. AC to PS, PS to 12v/ATX are all solid. I have gone through the "New build won't boot" checklist and didn't really find anything applicable.

I have tried reseating all applicable connections, a different PS (for 12v/ATX), switching reset and power switches, and multiple power outlets. This is my fifth build, but don't put anything past me... Thanks in advance!

SPECS:
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 2.8GHz (stock)
Thermaltake Venus 12 heat sink with stock (Phenom II) heat sink fan
CRUCIAL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 PC2 PC8500 1066MHz
XFX PV-T73G-UDD3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB
June 19, 2009 7:19:42 PM

So is it the case switch? Have you tried bridging the pins for the power button with a screwdriver?

What about when you first plug in your PSU? Do you hear anything at all from it?

Was this other PSU known to be working?

On a side note, after 5 builds it's about time you learn the value of a good PSU. Rosewill PSUs are junk. They did have a few that made it out of the junk category at one time, but I think those were discontinued.
June 19, 2009 7:23:24 PM

Proximon said:
So is it the case switch? Have you tried bridging the pins for the power button with a screwdriver?

What about when you first plug in your PSU? Do you hear anything at all from it?

Was this other PSU known to be working?

On a side note, after 5 builds it's about time you learn the value of a good PSU. Rosewill PSUs are junk. They did have a few that made it out of the junk category at one time, but I think those were discontinued.

Agreed, Rosewill psu's are GARBAGE....... Sounds as if the psu is DOA, not surprising but at least it didn't blow up your new parts.
Related resources
June 19, 2009 7:29:12 PM

Bridged the pins and still got nothing.

I hear a bit from the PSU if I plug it in while it is on.

Other PSU is brand new from Fry's for testing.

And the reviews on Newegg on the Rosewill were decent at the time!
June 19, 2009 7:32:55 PM

The other PSU (new) is a Cooler Master... 500w. Is this just a power supply issue?
June 19, 2009 7:36:45 PM

If you take the time to read the links listed in my guide, you'll know more than 98% of the builders out there and will never have to read a newegg review again to decide what PSU to buy :) 

However, I never said that the PSU was the problem here. It's just a problem in general.

You are getting some start up noise from the PSU when it's first plugged in. It could still be bad, but it's less likely.

You said you read the sticky, but you have not yet mentioned the 4/8-pin CPU power connector, also called the EATX12V.

Just to be clear, have a pic:

June 19, 2009 7:38:06 PM

Looks to me like you are saying the 12x12 (24 pin) is plugged in but what about the 2x2 or in some cases 4x4 (4 pin or 8 pin) The machine requires both of these sources of power to run.
June 19, 2009 7:39:23 PM

Ah prox beat me to it but ya thats probably your issue. Next time you read slow down. Its in your manual and all over the guides.
June 19, 2009 7:40:49 PM

8-pin CPU power is solidly in.

(And I will read your guide next time I buy a PSU. I promise.:)  )
June 19, 2009 7:45:22 PM

Well if its in google the power supply paper clicp test an see if you get the psu to actually turn on that way. If not its dead. If you do it might be a grounding issue and you need to assemble the thing out side the case.

Also make sure the ram is in the right slots and try with only one stick of ram.
June 19, 2009 7:48:14 PM

Okie. MOST lower wattage CM PSUs are poor quality, but at least a step up from Rosewill.

It sounds as if your board isn't even sending a start up signal to the PSU. I would strip it down to just the CPU and RAM, then breadboard it per the instructions in the checklist. If it still seems totally dead and the CPU fan never moves, RMA the board.

Edit: If you do the paperclip thing that's OK, but be sure you are comfortable doing it and stay safe.
June 19, 2009 7:48:53 PM

This might be a long shot but is your CPU seated properly?
June 19, 2009 8:06:01 PM

Breadboarding was a success... All standoffs looked ok though. And definitely no extras.
June 19, 2009 8:16:24 PM

Oh well. I think I've got it from here. Thanks guys! That was incredible.
June 19, 2009 8:21:05 PM

I'm glad you got it working! This just shows that there's a big difference between "reading" the stickies and actually going through the steps.
June 19, 2009 8:22:11 PM

Ok.... BSOD during Windows startup.
June 19, 2009 8:24:47 PM

BSOD's are very often caused by RAM errors. Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? Have you run memtest86+ to check for RAM errors? Did you do a fresh install of Windows?
June 19, 2009 10:07:13 PM

ok. Breadboarded. Installed Windows. Put everything backtogether. Hit the power button. Nothing.

Just like the beginning. Unplugged all the jumpers, did the screwdriver power switch trick, double checked ATX <b>and</b> CPU power, and still nothing.

Any ideas?
June 19, 2009 10:26:17 PM

Some stress on the motherboard causing an intermittent connection? Sometimes the act of screwing the board down puts enough stress in the board itself if some solder is bad.

Some short against the case from another part? You might even detect a little current in the frame of the case.

Have you noticed anything sticking down from the bottom of the board that could be making contact with the MB tray?
June 20, 2009 1:15:00 AM

. . . like an extra standoff on the mobo tray?
!