Weird refresh lines on CRT with new laptop.

martian11

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Problem: Whenever I run at game at a resolution below 1024x768 (ie. 800x600) on my new laptop using an external CRT monitor, I get weird, faint refresh lines that move down the screen. Games are still very playable with these lines but they are becoming annoying and I'm afraid I might be hurting my monitor. They are most noticeable with a grayish background on the screen.

Okay, so I recently bought a new MSI laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
NVIDIA 9800M GS
4 GB RAM

My old desktop is just that...very old:

AMD 3500+
NVIDIA 6800 Ultra
1 GB RAM

I use a Viewsonic G90fB 19" CRT to play games at 800x600 @ 100 Hz. I have been doing this for a year and a half on my desktop so I know the monitor is perfectly capable. The desktop does not have a VGA plug, so I use a DVI to VGA converter.

My laptop DOES have a VGA plug, BUT it does NOT have slots for the two side screws that you use to tighten the connection. I REALLY hope that this is not the problem, as there would be no way for me to fix it. I highly doubt this is the issue, though, as the connection is perfectly fine at resolutions 1024x768 and up.

My second and more probable guess to the problem is with the drivers. On my old computer, I rolled back my NVIDIA drivers to when you could create 3D profiles for each resolution and force a refresh rate. These old drivers allowed for you to set the refresh rate at 100 Hz for lower resolutions.

The 9 series drivers on my laptop do not provide any way to do this. I've put "-w 800 -h 600 -refresh 100" in the command line of the games I play (counter-strike mainly). Vsync is forced off in both the drivers and in game. fps_max is set to 101.

These lines are connected somehow to what my fps is at. At the default fps_max 300 for counter strike, the lines are much faster and more noticeable than what they become when I cap the fps at my refresh rate. They're still there, though, which is getting pretty frustrating.

Has anyone else had problems with a CRT with any of the 9 series NVIDIA cards? Are there any programs like the old RefreshForce that will work on Win7 64 bit? I really hope someone can help me, considering nobody plays on CRTs anymore. ANY input would be appreciated.

martian11

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
that's not exactly the solution i'm looking for...

the monitor can support the refresh rate i want it to be at. i've been using these setting for over a year.

martian11

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I'm pretty sure the issue is with the resolution alone and not the refresh rate...

If I set my desktop to 8x6 @ 85 Hz I still get the moving lines (though they are much fainter)...

There's no reason a 19" CRT should have trouble at 800x600 @ 85 Hz. That makes no sense. I ran my desktop at 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz on my old comp without issue.

Maybe it's an issue with win7? I'm out of ideas.

EDIT:

I'm gunna try to find the monitor drivers and install them. I never used them on my old comp and I had forgotten the monitor even had them until now.

EDIT #2: Viewsonic doesn't have vista drivers for the g90fb. Awesome.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I've had this problem before. Remove any possible interference from the room - ie unplug any power cables not in use like your laptop's. Usually this fixes the problem.

martian11

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
so I moved my desktop, unplugged everything that wasn't necessary, and put my laptop where my desktop used to be in the exact same setup. i unplugged and replugged all the monitor cables twice.

same problem. only getting lines in 8x6. 1024 is fine, but i can't reach 100 hz at that resolution.

is it even possible that some form of interference would only effect the monitor at certain resolutions?