Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corsair h50 vs cooler master 212 plus

Last response: in Overclocking
June 14, 2011 7:03:34 AM

im looking to buy a heatsink for my i5 2500k cpu and i have looked up both and the seem to be close performance wise but the h50 is 20 bucks more and the 212 plus is larger so i wanted to ask for some opinions.
a c 131 K Overclocking
June 14, 2011 2:41:41 PM

Either cooler will do.

I would vote for the 212 on the basis that it is simpler.
Size should not be an issue unless you have a small form factor case.
m
l
June 14, 2011 10:29:14 PM

I just finished my first build today and used a 212 +. So far its working well and i've added a second fan for push-pull configuration.

Installation is fairly simple, although i had to make use of a guide that I found somewhere on this forum as well an installation video on youtube.

I can't comment on the h50 because i've never used one, but from what i know it should perform better than the 212+.
m
l
Related resources
a c 295 K Overclocking
June 14, 2011 10:59:05 PM

Hi.

1- What case do you have?
2- What budget do you have?
3- For now, my vote goes to the Hyper 212+ for price/performance
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2011 12:02:18 AM

Quote:
1- What case do you have?
2- What budget do you have?
3- For now, my vote goes to the Hyper 212+ for price/performance

^All of this. But just know that the difference between a good h50 installation (push pull, intake, proper seating and application of TIM, etc.) and a bad installation (push only, exhaust-mounted, bad seating) is about 15-20 C. So if you see Newegg reviews saying "This thing barely beat my stock cooler"...pebkac.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2011 12:51:58 AM

We've reached the point where air cooling is just as good as liquid cooling.

I have an original Cooler Master Hyper 212 in my personal pc. I've used the 212 for several years and several upgrades. I also purchased other newer cpu heatsinks and conducted cooling experiments. The 212 can definitely hang in there. Cooling is excellent. Technical reviews were very favorable. The 212+ is probably the best bang for the buck.

Cuecuemore - I don't think it matters whether it is air cooling, liquid cooling or something really insane like Liquid Nitrogen cooling. In all three types a bad installation will result in poor performance.
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2011 1:31:00 AM

Why the H50 and not the H60 considering it is meant to replace the H50. But as the others said price to performance the 212+ wins, if you can fit it in your case that is.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2011 6:02:21 AM

One factor to add in is the number of memory modules you intend to use. A lot of air coolers are going to block 1 or more memory slots when you use them on 1155 boards with 2 fans.
m
l
June 16, 2011 4:38:11 PM

I use H50 on my 2500K, got lucky and bought it for $40 from Bestbuy about 3weeks ago. Using push/pull fan config on the H50, my temps never go above 45C and I'm OC to 4.5GHz.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
June 16, 2011 4:39:18 PM

Bang for your buck, the Hyper 212 Plus. But I'd assume the H50 is a slightly better cooler overall, but it's also matched or beat by the best air coolers.

I have to say I disagree with JohnnyLucky in air being equal to WC. That only holds true of most of these all in one kits. But if you look at basically any 220 or bigger WC loop it's much better than air. I dropped around 10C off my Zalman CNPS10X Extreme going to the Swiftech Edge 220 kit.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2011 5:12:40 PM

Wolfram - Yes, there are high end liquid cooling systems that do very well. We just don't hear or read about them very much. Are there web sites similar to Tom's Hardware or AnandTech that cater to watercooling enthusiasts?

XmsYellowbeard - Yes, those memory modules with the extra tall heatspreaders that sort of look like a comb will definitely interfere with a large tower style cpu heatsink. Sometimes it is mentioned in heatsink reviews. I've mentioned it quite a few times in previous posts. Tom's Hardware addressed that issue in a detailed review quite some time ago. It's pretty simple, those extra tall memory heatspreaders are not necessary. Standard height heatspreaders work just fine.

Cerealkiller45_86 - Kool! Which pc case do you have? What was the ambient (room) temperature when you checked temps? Which utility did you use to measure temps?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2011 5:55:12 PM

Thanks! Very nice site. I bookmarked it just in case we get another question about liquid cooling.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 16, 2011 6:27:21 PM

Banging my head against the wall! Got interested in a couple of THG forum sections and forgot about the rest!!! :( 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 17, 2011 3:22:48 PM

wolfram23 said:
Bang for your buck, the Hyper 212 Plus. But I'd assume the H50 is a slightly better cooler overall, but it's also matched or beat by the best air coolers.

I have to say I disagree with JohnnyLucky in air being equal to WC. That only holds true of most of these all in one kits. But if you look at basically any 220 or bigger WC loop it's much better than air. I dropped around 10C off my Zalman CNPS10X Extreme going to the Swiftech Edge 220 kit.

I phase out all my bulky air cooler and replaced it w/ H50. It free up a lot of space inside the case for access, regular cleaning. It also remove the stress on the motherboard due to the added weight by this large hit sink and added fans.

I ended up with 3c to 4c cooler on my 3 setups on average for 8 hrs run. I use Antec 900 on the 3 setups i have.

I also end up w/ less noise. You can tweak the temperature and noise level you can tolerate. You can raise the temp by a 3 deg to reduce noise and it won't hurt your CPU.

I got my H50 on sale @ best buy for $49.99 so i ended up cheaper.

Cleaning the radiator and fans is much easier w/ H50 than this bulky air coolers.

That's from my personal experience. Its your choice.
m
l
June 17, 2011 4:31:26 PM

I agree with Leon..super easy to clean inside my system and it just looks sexier!
m
l
June 22, 2011 4:31:32 AM

Best answer selected by Tyler94.
m
l
!