Noob raid question

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Hi all. Right now I have one drive for the OS and programs and another one for storing music/movies/pictures/crap. If I get a matching storage drive and set up a raid 1 array for it with my mobo's onboard raid controller, will I have problems if I change motherboards sometime in the future?

Solution
Unless you get an identical motherboard, the best answer you will get is "probably".

Other than that, you can purchase a RAID PCIe card and as long as it has drivers for the OS's you will want to use it on, it will be transferable.
That's one of those "it depends" issues. For any RAID level other than one, I would say "Yes, you will." But many people on these forums have succeeded in booting from an orphaned RAID1 disk. I haven't seen anything about moving an intact pair.

So. "It depends." It will probably work. Don't count on it. If you have a good backup when you change motherboards, it won't matter anyway.

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006

Even if I can't move the pair, I ought to be able to move over one drive and rebuild the second one right?

I'm going to qualify that with a "Probably, we've seen it work several times" and suggest that you do a backup to an external drive before changing mobos, just for safety's sake. You don't really know until you've tried it with the specific hardware in question.

Unless you get an identical motherboard, the best answer you will get is "probably".

Other than that, you can purchase a RAID PCIe card and as long as it has drivers for the OS's you will want to use it on, it will be transferable.

Solution

MooseMuffin

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006

This is actually what I thought I'd have to do. Thanks guys.