Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noob raid question

Last response: in Storage
March 7, 2011 3:17:36 PM

Hi all. Right now I have one drive for the OS and programs and another one for storing music/movies/pictures/crap. If I get a matching storage drive and set up a raid 1 array for it with my mobo's onboard raid controller, will I have problems if I change motherboards sometime in the future?

More about : noob raid question

a c 300 G Storage
March 7, 2011 3:36:12 PM

That's one of those "it depends" issues. For any RAID level other than one, I would say "Yes, you will." But many people on these forums have succeeded in booting from an orphaned RAID1 disk. I haven't seen anything about moving an intact pair.

So. "It depends." It will probably work. Don't count on it. If you have a good backup when you change motherboards, it won't matter anyway.
m
l
March 7, 2011 3:55:06 PM

WyomingKnott said:
That's one of those "it depends" issues. For any RAID level other than one, I would say "Yes, you will." But many people on these forums have succeeded in booting from an orphaned RAID1 disk. I haven't seen anything about moving an intact pair.

So. "It depends." It will probably work. Don't count on it. If you have a good backup when you change motherboards, it won't matter anyway.

Even if I can't move the pair, I ought to be able to move over one drive and rebuild the second one right?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 300 G Storage
March 7, 2011 4:13:06 PM

I'm going to qualify that with a "Probably, we've seen it work several times" and suggest that you do a backup to an external drive before changing mobos, just for safety's sake. You don't really know until you've tried it with the specific hardware in question.
m
l

Best solution

a c 377 G Storage
March 7, 2011 4:57:09 PM

Unless you get an identical motherboard, the best answer you will get is "probably".

Other than that, you can purchase a RAID PCIe card and as long as it has drivers for the OS's you will want to use it on, it will be transferable.
March 7, 2011 6:50:29 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Unless you get an identical motherboard, the best answer you will get is "probably".

Other than that, you can purchase a RAID PCIe card and as long as it has drivers for the OS's you will want to use it on, it will be transferable.

This is actually what I thought I'd have to do. Thanks guys.
m
l
March 8, 2011 8:13:52 PM

Best answer selected by MooseMuffin.
m
l
!