Your question

Setting up a RAID 10

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 6, 2011 5:04:29 PM

Hello,
I was wondering if it is possible to set up a RAID 10 using 2 60GB SSD and one storage drive with 3 partitions. This will give me the 4 for raid 10 and 1 for storage. Not quite sure if it will work like that though.

More about : setting raid

March 7, 2011 10:08:14 AM

Hello talric79;

I know RAID is possible when there are mixed capacity and speed drives involved.
When you're running a RAID array I think the array the slowest disk in the array will limit your overall performance.
My major concern would be that the SSD performance might be degraded to match the HDD.

I think you'd be better off posting this to the experts over in the Storage section of the forums.
m
l
March 7, 2011 10:10:00 AM

When you do get an answer I wouldn't mind if you posted it here also.
I'm sure this question is going to come up again
And it probably has before but a quick search didnt turn up anything that looked similar.
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2011 3:09:48 PM

Yeah, I would suggest that you ask over in Storage > NAS/RAID. I had some Qs about a RAID setup and they helped me out pretty quickly.
m
l
March 7, 2011 3:18:41 PM

Quote:
When you do get an answer I wouldn't mind if you posted it here also.
I'm sure this question is going to come up again
And it probably has before but a quick search didnt turn up anything that looked similar.

Thanks for the reply, I did re-post in the storage section, the rest of my system should be here today.

Crosshair extreme
AMD x6 1100T
8GB Corsair Dominator gt 2000Mhz
2 x 60 GB Vertex 2 SSD
Saphire 6950, 2GB
HAF X case, with all optional fans
1TB WD Caviar Black 64mb cache
lg Bluray burner (wh10)
lg Bluray reader (ch10)
m
l
a b G Storage
March 7, 2011 3:35:06 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Storage by SAINT19
m
l
a c 324 G Storage
March 7, 2011 3:45:23 PM

talric79 said:
Hello,
I was wondering if it is possible to set up a RAID 10 using 2 60GB SSD and one storage drive with 3 partitions. This will give me the 4 for raid 10 and 1 for storage. Not quite sure if it will work like that though.

Short answer: No. RAID controllers eat whole drives, not partitions.

Also, keep in mind that if you RAID0 the two SSDs and then mirror that to either one or two HDDs, your write speeds will be limited by the speed of the HDDs. Kind of a waste of the expense of the SSDs.

The closest I have ever done to something like that would be setting up near-realtime backup of data from the SSD to an HDD with some backup utility. Even MirrorFolder will handle it nicely, if you don't use the pseudo-RAID1 mode. (As an aside, you can set this up with MirrorFolder's pseudo-RAID1 mode. Have the controller make the two SSDs a RAID0 pair, and at the OS level let MirrorFolder mirror that 120 GB volume to a 120 GB volumne on your third drive. But it still suffers from the HDD speed limit).

So if you are just looking to run off a fast RAID0 and have decent protection, use a near-realtime backup utility. If you want SSD speeds with true zero-loss recovery from a single disk failure, you need to buy two more SSDs. Or actually one more; for any given line, a 120 GB SSD tends to be almost twice as fast as a 60 GB drive because they use more channels.

I could be more specific if I know exactly what you want this array to accomplish for you.
m
l
!