EBay CPU chart, please tell me this isnt true

dsaddons

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
ok, i wasnt reffering to the 275, i know thats a great high end video card. But the i7 is the fastest proccesor out (until i9) and comparing it to a pentium dual core i thought was just a joke. Thanks.

FreyG

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Well in the very specific things he refers to sure an overclocked E5300 might be close to a stock i7 920. He never actually lies about it but avoids saying a lot of other things where the i7 totally dominates the E5300.

I honestly thought this was funnier

"Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion RD500-2-SB 500 Watt
Unlike most PC's in this price range, this system includes a high performance PSU"

Now that is a downright lie, no way to bend the truth about that one he is just lying there!

What you have here is a very typical gaming build on a tight budget. No bells or whistles, he has simply picked out a lot of components that are very value priced, yet will be powerful enough to run games, and topped it off with an excellent GPU.
Is he lieing? No, not really, no more than just about any advertising you see any place these days. But he is laying the bs on pretty thick.
Is this an impressive build? No.
Is this build worth what he is asking? Maybe to some people, not me.
I especially do not like he does not have access to or stock any parts....he is simply going to take your money, go someplace like newegg and buy everything, put it together in couple of weeks and then ship it off to you. Just another guy out there who thinks they can make a few bucks by building systems for gamers. There are hundreds of these people around, and hundreds more everyday who are thinking about doing the same thing.
Problem is, there is no money in doing this, it is not worth the time or effort, and these people have no real clue what this is going to cost THEM in the long run, and they don't stay around for long. The only way to stay in business doing this is by building true high end systems, where they buyers are willing to pay more to get more, and then you must be able to back what you build. This guy is trying to target people who apparently do not have the money to buy a high end system, and his profit off building these "value" systems is very, very thin for the time and work he has to put into it.
This is exactly the type of builder anyone with common sense would avoid like the plauge. He may have the best intentions in the world, but when your system takes a dump in 3 weeks, his phone number may suddenly be a non-working number.

Yeah i have to agree.

Maybe the games he tested is only 1 or 2 thread games but the i7 would still beat that OC pentium dual core cpu and when something else is running (like say anti-virus) thats where it shines. I wouldn't trust that seller.

(there also a lot of people the can get that i7 all the way up to somewhere between 4.0 to 4.5 ghz. so it still not a good deal.)

It's probably a little harsh to call it a scam --- it's just not a very good deal for nearly $900 --- and the guy has to 'order' the parts and doesn't maintain an inventory.

The only 'outright lie' is that "" ... The E5300 @ 3.6 Ghz actually outperforms AMD's fastest quad core, the Phenom 9950 ... "

There are these Phenom IIs that might call that into question ... :)

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Yea, this is what came into mind when I thought of it. Current games currently don't utilize more than 1-2 cores of a processor, so I believe that a high clocked dual core could outperform a lower clocked quad, for gaming that is. But for things like 3D rendering, anti-virus (like wormon6 said), video editing, etc. the i7 would beat the stuffing out of that processor.

So yea, it isn't an outright lie... yet there is some deception involved, as he didn't state that it was for games and not programs that utilize all the cores.

dsaddons

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
wow. This is a lot more active then the FSX forums i used to go on lol. Too jitpublisher i am thinking of doing this on eBay but not to build for money, but because its just a cool hobby that i like to do (and of course some gamers cant build a computer). I would of course need to charge some extra for man hours and in case something gos wrong but i wouldnt be in it for the little $ scamming people like this guy.