Graohics card gone bad?

crashplain

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
hi every one

i have a problem im guessing with the graphics card? but i but a new wireless router and after installing everything i restarted my pc and on the monitor says no signal it doesnt make a beep or any noise and the welcome sound doesnt come on so i dont know what the problem is if its the mother board the card or what but the computer sounds like its ok but i dont know if wondows 7 had anything to do with it because i uninstalled it like a week before.

We now know you installed a router and uninstalled Windows 7 a week ago, but actually nothing about your PC :)

Most of the time this issue resolves to a dead/faulty psu or a dead HD, but could easily be other things.

Please reply with your system specs, including name, wattage, and age of your power supply.

And when was the last time you opened the PC's case, and what did you do? Why did you have to reboot after installing a router?

crashplain

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
case:centurion cac-t05
psu:thermaltake 450w age:4yrs
Mboard: ASUS asn32-slideluxe
memory: 3GB
hd: maxtor diamondmax 200bg sata 3.0GB
cpu amd athlon 64 x2 im not sure one the rest of the cpu specs:(
video card: all i know its a bfg
and y i rebooted i dont know
but my buddy built this pc for me about 4 or 5 yrs ago and all i added was the extra 2 gb of ram
the last time i opened the case was like 4months ago cleaning out all the dust

crashplain

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
it is that mobo i do not see the BIOS and i removed the video card and the 2 gb but i dont see any onboard graphic adapter(im a newb with this stuff just so u no so just dont get mad)

No problem! And the first mistake was mine, your board has no onboard graphics. Sorry.

Do you (or your friend) have any parts that we can borrow to swap in? A power supply? Any graphics card?

Most likely problem is power supply. If it was a dead graphics card, you might get into windows with no video, so that's possible but least likely. It could be the HD.

Let me ask this: If you had to spend $60 to fix this PC, would you? $100? $150?

If you can't borrow parts, we'll be guessing, and we'll be replacing parts until it works.

crashplain

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
i have my bros computer here and it has a 300w power supply but the video card dotenst fit.
would that power supply be good enough? or do i need more wattage for my pc?

It might very well, especially if your video card is as old as the rest of your system.

If you can grab that psu, swap it in, see if the PC boots. If it does, we've proven psu failure, don't play any games with it, just shut it down and buy a new psu.

crashplain

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
lol i just solved my brothers computer problem and now mine is down i think it needs a bigger psu because my borthers old computer is working now when before it had the same problem as i do now it wouldnt recognize the monitor and it was just dead but this is the psu that was in my pc so i dnt no if it needs a biggger one or is it something else

crashplain

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
so this power supply has been on for a while and now all of a sudden the pc dont recognize the mouse or keybor( i dont think the drivers r installed) but either way it should read the mouse and keyboard and wit this psu the pc is working extremely slow that wasnt this bad
i think too its finally goin out

"so this power supply has been on for a while and now all of a sudden the pc dont recognize the mouse or keybor( i dont think the drivers r installed) but either way it should read the mouse and keyboard and wit this psu the pc is working extremely slow that wasnt this bad. i think too its finally goin out "

I have NO idea what you mean. Has your brother's PC stopped working while using your psu?

You didn't say your brother's PC didn't work. I didn't ask you to put your psu in your brother's machine because if it was bad it may have fried your brother's pc.

Sorry, but you have to put more effort into communicating if you expect to get help.

crashplain

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
sry i was in a hurry when i wrote that
i ment to say that since the boot up of his pc it didnt recognize the mouse or the keyboard.
but i put it in there to see wut would happen and with his power supply in my pc it still didnt work.