Motherboard replacement cost

tlp

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
i have a dell dimension 4700 that i have had for around 4 years or so. we think the mother board has died. when you push the power button it just flashes yellow. how easy is it to replace a motherboard for this desktop and what kind of cost are we looking at?

Check pricewatch for your board. You may also have a bad power supply. You may be able to replace it with any atx model, such as the corsair 400w ($34.99 after rebate at newegg). Ebay should also have some of your model. You can read some faqs about changing out the motherboard. I recommend you ground your body against metal or use an esd strap, which sell for $1-3. You may also draw a diagram as you go to keep track of the ps connections. I live near frys, and they had an hp sempron system with windows 7 for only $250 the other day. You may decide to replace the whole system instead. You can sell off the leftover parts on craigslist for free. I sell alot of new and used stuff there. If you decide to replace the board, be sure to use a special canned air product with solvent that evaporates quickly to clean all your system fans, including the cpu heatsink and ps. The stuff sells for $3-6 at frys, depending on how many cans you buy. I use "perfect duster" but many brands work fine.