Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

To Roland Mösl

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 5:04:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Roland, one question. If Centrino technology is so good and outperforms P4
so much, why it is not used in working stations for example for renderings?
Ha? Tell me why not? Obviously it needs real speed and cpu power, they is
now way around, quick hdd will not help at all.

You did one test and believe that it tests everything. But it doesn't. I
proposed you to prepared 2d and 3d rendering tests to check your claims
about Centrino, but you haven't answer answer, why?

Regards,

K.Polak

More about : roland moesl

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 5:04:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Roland, one question. If Centrino technology is so good and outperforms P4
> so much, why it is not used in working stations for example for
renderings?
> Ha? Tell me why not? Obviously it needs real speed and cpu power, they is
> now way around, quick hdd will not help at all.
>
> You did one test and believe that it tests everything. But it doesn't. I
> proposed you to prepared 2d and 3d rendering tests to check your claims
> about Centrino, but you haven't answer answer, why?

PovRay shows typicall 1:1.6

As an advertising agency, I got several phone calls
from hosting providers to use their servers.

I always ask them about air condition in the server room,
power out times, power usage.

I am always surprised, that this people have no idea
about this major cost factors in their business.

They just do not think about it.


--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 7:46:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Krystian Polak <kuzda@wp.pl> wrote:
> Roland, one question. If Centrino technology is so good and
> outperforms P4 so much, why it is not used in working stations for
> example for renderings?

Because it's a MOBILE processor!

There's no necessity, or benefit, for using one in a desktop workstation.

Geeze guy, let it go.

Regards,

James
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 12:06:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> > Roland, one question. If Centrino technology is so good and
> > outperforms P4 so much, why it is not used in working stations for
> > example for renderings?
>
> Because it's a MOBILE processor!
>
> There's no necessity, or benefit, for using one in a desktop workstation.

That's complete wrong.

Less noise
Less energy usage
Less air condition necessary
Less UPS necessary

For somebody who can think, the advantages are enormouse

Even Intel tells this.
2007, the end of the P4 fail construction
The Merion will be based on Banias Dothan technology


--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 12:15:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Krystian Polak" <kuzda@wp.pl> wrote in message
news:c5sr7o$8rr$1@news.onet.pl...
> Roland, one question. If Centrino technology is so good and outperforms P4
> so much, why it is not used in working stations for example for
renderings?
> Ha? Tell me why not? Obviously it needs real speed and cpu power, they is
> now way around, quick hdd will not help at all.
>
> You did one test and believe that it tests everything. But it doesn't. I
> proposed you to prepared 2d and 3d rendering tests to check your claims
> about Centrino, but you haven't answer answer, why?
>

By 2007 Intel's desktop and mobile roadmap will converge on one core
design... the clever one which is humming away in the Pentium-M. It looks
like Intel also recognizes the good work done by the Banias team.

Stephen
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 12:45:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> PovRay shows typicall 1:1.6

Where is this test and results. I cannot see it on your website. Any way,
PovRay is not the most populat 3d software on the market. So this test can
be usefull for maybe couple percent of 3d people.

>
> As an advertising agency, I got several phone calls
> from hosting providers to use their servers.
>
> I always ask them about air condition in the server room,
> power out times, power usage.

We are not talking about servers, but personal computers. Dont mix these
things.

>
> I am always surprised, that this people have no idea
> about this major cost factors in their business.
>
> They just do not think about it.

We are not talking about energy saving or heat. They are other issues. We
are taking about speed.

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 12:45:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> > As an advertising agency, I got several phone calls
> > from hosting providers to use their servers.
> >
> > I always ask them about air condition in the server room,
> > power out times, power usage.
>
> We are not talking about servers, but personal computers. Dont mix these
> things.

The same arguments.

Waste heat which makes an air condition in summer necessary
Noise from the fans.

> > I am always surprised, that this people have no idea
> > about this major cost factors in their business.
> >
> > They just do not think about it.
>
> We are not talking about energy saving or heat. They are other issues. We
> are taking about speed.

I will do several other benchmarks


--
Roland Mösl - http://www.pege.org - http://notebook.pege.org
http://wds-internetwerbung.com Web Design startet an der Suchmaschine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 12:51:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Because it's a MOBILE processor!
> There's no necessity, or benefit, for using one in a desktop workstation.

This is what I am saying. The only benefit is energu saving and there is
nothing about cpu speed, so nobody uses this in desktops, because couple
less watts doesnt matter (exept situation as Roland said, big servers etc)

So why somebody tries to convince others that Centrino is so quick and
overperforms P4 (even twice or so!). This was my question to Roland.

To Roland yet. Try P4 Extreme with 2MB cache. We will see result ;-)

Rergards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 12:51:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> > Because it's a MOBILE processor!
> > There's no necessity, or benefit, for using one in a desktop
workstation.
>
> This is what I am saying. The only benefit is energu saving and there is
> nothing about cpu speed, so nobody uses this in desktops, because couple
> less watts doesnt matter (exept situation as Roland said, big servers etc)
>
> So why somebody tries to convince others that Centrino is so quick and
> overperforms P4 (even twice or so!). This was my question to Roland.
>
> To Roland yet. Try P4 Extreme with 2MB cache. We will see result ;-)

As soon as I see one to test.
Will be the next exiting duell.

Prescott 3.4 extreme edition against Dothan 1.8


--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 10:52:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> The same arguments.
>
> Waste heat which makes an air condition in summer necessary
> Noise from the fans.

No, you are wrong. I live in Australia. It is hot here and i have in my room
4 computer and I cannot see any reasonable increce of temperature. It is a
bit warmer, but without exageration. So how much more heat will produce one
computer? Nothing. Your advice is good for servers administrators, not for
common users!

> I will do several other benchmarks

Ok. Can you do for 3D Studio Max, Maya ect? And can you put info here about
result?

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 20, 2004 7:23:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I thought desktop P4s weren't the same as laptop P4s?

Also, presumably if it's true that Banias is as fast as P4, even in desktops
(which I think is highly unlikely), I would have guessed that P4 chips would
be a lot cheaper than Pentium-M's.

I think a P-M1.7 comes pretty close to all but the top-of-the-range P4
mobile chips.

Duncan.


"Krystian Polak" <kuzda@wp.pl> wrote in message
news:c5v0q8$oa0$1@news.onet.pl...
> > Because it's a MOBILE processor!
> > There's no necessity, or benefit, for using one in a desktop
workstation.
>
> This is what I am saying. The only benefit is energu saving and there is
> nothing about cpu speed, so nobody uses this in desktops, because couple
> less watts doesnt matter (exept situation as Roland said, big servers etc)
>
> So why somebody tries to convince others that Centrino is so quick and
> overperforms P4 (even twice or so!). This was my question to Roland.
>
> To Roland yet. Try P4 Extreme with 2MB cache. We will see result ;-)
>
> Rergards,
>
> K.Polak
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 8:43:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Krystian Polak" <kuzda@wp.pl> wrote:
> > Because it's a MOBILE processor!
> > There's no necessity, or benefit, for using one in
> > a desktop workstation.
> This is what I am saying. The only benefit is energu
> saving and there is nothing about cpu speed, so nobody
> uses this in desktops

Hitachi uses the Pentium M in desktops:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/22/hitachi_pentium...


--
Can't wait for 'Conroe', Intel's attempt to create a desktop
CPU based on Pentium M technology? Then look to Japan's
Hitachi, which said this week it will offer desktop PCs based
on the mobile processor.

The HF-W2000 mini-tower and HF-W6500 desktop are based on the
1.6GHz Pentium M, and ship with up to 2GB of DDR SDRAM on ECC
DIMMs. Both ship with an 80GB hard drive, floppy drive and a
CD-ROM optical units. Clearly pitched at corporates, they
come with a wide array of legacy ports, including ISA add-in
slots.

More up-to-date features include USB ports and integrated
10/100Mbps Ethernet.

Hitachi didn't say how much either machine will cost. And
while they will ship in Japan, it seems unlikely they will be
made more broadly available.
--



-Chris
!