Faster CPU will not boot, no video

G

This is a home built system.
soyo sy-p4vtp
1gb corsair ddr 400mhz
maxtor 40gb ide hdd
plextor dvd-r drive
420w power supply

I upgraded to a 3.2ghz 800fsb p4 to replace my 1.7ghz 400fsb but when I boot with the new cpu there is no video, it just turns on the hdd and fans. I have tried to reset the cmos, also have tried booting with just the motherboard and 2 fans plugged in, but it still wont boot and wont send video. Also the BIOS is the newest version available for this board, (2ba4). I am not sure what to do, I dont mind going to a PC shop to have them test the CPU, but I only paid 30$ for the CPU so if it is more than that to test it...

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
This is a home built system.
soyo sy-p4vtp
1gb corsair ddr 400mhz
maxtor 40gb ide hdd
plextor dvd-r drive
420w power supply

I upgraded to a 3.2ghz 800fsb p4 to replace my 1.7ghz 400fsb but when I boot with the new cpu there is no video, it just turns on the hdd and fans. I have tried to reset the cmos, also have tried booting with just the motherboard and 2 fans plugged in, but it still wont boot and wont send video. Also the BIOS is the newest version available for this board, (2ba4). I am not sure what to do, I dont mind going to a PC shop to have them test the CPU, but I only paid 30$ for the CPU so if it is more than that to test it...

Did you check your mobo's page to see if that CPU is supported by it.

site is dead.

Although i was able to find some info of cpu support for this MB

Pentium 4 with or without Hyper-Threading, Northwood, Prescott (400/533/800MHz FSB), Pentium 4 Celeron

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/u0806/08r06/08r06.asp&guid=

Now what i will say is pull the cpu back out and make sure that non of the 487 pins are bent. A bent pin can mean the difference between work cpu and non cpu.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

Yes.
And if any of the pins are bent, be very careful when you straighten it, they're very fragile, and once you lose a pin, your CPU will not be able to be repaired.