jfbetel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I have a question that I would like some one to please answer for me. A buddy of mine bought the new AMD Phenom X4-9600 CPU last week and when he installed it he could not get the fan to run,so he went with leaving the old heat sink and fan that came with the computer he bought. The mother board is the OEM motherboard(Compaq/HP) and it came with a X2 processor(not sure which one). In any case I told him that it is a mistake to use the same heatsink and fan with the new processor,reguardless of whether it's spinning or not. He tells me that it doesn't make a difference since his temperatures are running between 53-63C,without much of a load if any at all.Now I have an intel Q9550 and my temps are between 42-53 with a load(multitasking) and that's pretty cool to me. Anyway my question is this should he or should he not be concerned about using the old heatsink/fan with the new processor or am I just imagining that it's okay because he says his temps are okay. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I don't think I am.Can someone please answer this for me and at the same time let me know what the temps should be for his AMD processor. Thank You, I'm Miffed

jfbetel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I'm no computer wiz but I am a car mechanic and I know that if you have a V-6&a V-8 engine you can't and shouldn't use the same radiator for both engines. Now wouldn't that stand true for a Core2 Processor and a Quad core processor, one would think if not then why build all those different heat sinks and different fans that run at different cycles instead of using the same old ones for all your processors.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

I guess you can use it for a different CPU as long as it has both have the same wattage

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007

This temperature range is too high for a cpu at idle. They should be below 40C, typically 34-38C.

It's an acceptable range, while still being a little high, when under load, say Prime95 for half an hour.