Retreiving data from a back-up CD into a newer version of Quicken

ruheavenbound

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hello,In windows xp an error message "disk not ready" occurs when trying to load back-up disk to transfer files into Quicken 2005 after it failed to transfer files when loaded. The back-up is also on passport, a portable memory drive, and will not load from there either with the same error message.

Note I am not very knowledgeable as to terms so please explain as much as possible with answers to help me learn.
Thanks
Doug

What software was used to create the backup media, and what are you using to restore ? - Does not look good if the backups are on two different media, and cannot read ( probably corrupted backup).

ruheavenbound

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

Hi thanks for answering and I agree with your reply, as it turns out the problem has been solved. Remember I'm not real savy on terms and such, but started digging into the problem by starting from what I thought was scratch.

First uninstalled Quicken then on a hunch started looking for any quicken files or folders that may have been missed. One was found in an area of my documents. Deleted it. Then read that some new versions can't skip more than one old one so, reloaded the old version that would not reload earlier and it went on. Next went to passport and updated the old version no problem. Did the same to my other computer and after some file manipulation got it going as well.

Next will be updating the verions of Quicken one at a time untill it gets to my new version. I'm claiming the problem solved. Might be helpful to others to be sure unistall gets everything off before starting over.