Sign in with
Your question

Doubt regarding Portable hard disk

Last response: in Storage
March 8, 2011 6:33:30 AM

MY SALUTE TO ALL TECH SAVVY

Im planning to buy a I TB portable hard disk... The link is given below

I have a few doubts

1) They say USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 or FireWire® 800... Does it mean I can connect the harddisk directly to pc through USB alone with
USB 2.0 and that if I am connecting with Firewire 800, I need to put power supply to the disk & fastens the transfer rate and
all ???

2) Should I use another power adapter to use this ?

3) Will it get heated badly ?

4) My CPU is Core i3 2.93 Ghz and @ GB ram... Dont know the PSU......Will this harddisk work with this like get stuck or
something ???

5) I need some frank comments on this product or else have to stick on to 500 GB harddisk

WAITING :wahoo:  :wahoo: 
a c 372 G Storage
March 8, 2011 10:53:12 AM

You didn't list a make or model so it will be hard to help. Most externals require a power supply. It should come with the drive. It should also come with at least a USB cable.

The enclosure most likely has connection for USB & firewire. Just pick the approriate port on your computer to attach the drive.

If the enclosure doesn't have an active fan, it will most likely be made of aluminum to help dissapate heat.
m
l
March 9, 2011 12:40:41 PM

Its SEAGATE FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Desk External Drive...... 1 TB.....
m
l
Related resources
a c 372 G Storage
March 9, 2011 1:45:32 PM

1. It comes with USB2.0, but can be upgraded with adapter to make it USB3.0 or firewire.

2. Use the power adapter it comes with.

3. I've never owned one, so can't answer on heat, but it seems to be a popular brand.

4. A hard drive has no relation to the CPU.
m
l
March 10, 2011 2:29:25 PM

Thank You Hawkeye !! :)  :) 
m
l
a c 107 G Storage
March 10, 2011 5:47:12 PM

If you have a new PC (i3 so should be) you want to check if it has USB3 or eSata ports. Those 2 will give you the best results with an external drive. And pick a USB3 or eSata drive.

Most of the smaller (as in size not capacity) drives that use laptop hard drives don't even need any external power, but run right off the power the port provides.
m
l
!