Laptop size printer... any still being made?

Hi all,

Went looking for a small printer today at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Comp
USA for laptop use only to find a Canon and HP both selling for $250. I was
hoping to find something like the old HP Deskjet 340 or Canon BJC-80 that
would run on batteries. The two new ones I saw are huge compared to their
older counterparts and I believe only run on AC. I'd buy one of the older
ones via Ebay, but I think most of the old ones are parallel or IR and I
really want USB.

Does anyone out there make a small laptop size inkjet printer that runs on
batteries with a USB interface?

Thanks,

TR
4 answers Last reply
More about laptop size printer made

    "hookedfine" <hookedfine@rangefinder.net> wrote in message
    > Went looking for a small printer today at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Comp
    > USA for laptop use only to find a Canon and HP both selling for $250. I
    was
    > hoping to find something like the old HP Deskjet 340 or Canon BJC-80 that
    > would run on batteries. The two new ones I saw are huge compared to their
    > older counterparts and I believe only run on AC. I'd buy one of the older
    > ones via Ebay, but I think most of the old ones are parallel or IR and I
    > really want USB.
    >
    > Does anyone out there make a small laptop size inkjet printer that runs on
    > batteries with a USB interface?

    I have a BJC-85.
    http://usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=6620
    It's connected to my laptop by USB, although it also supports parallel and
    IR. While it doesn't natively run from batteries, you can easily buy one --
    go to that link, select "Supplies & Accessories", go to page 2, scroll down
    to the "NK-300 Portable Battery Kit". Or, you can track down the parts and
    build a battery pack yourself. You need enough bateries to make 12V --
    2xLantern, or 8xAlkaline, or 10xNiMH. Good luck tracking down a 10xAA
    holder.

    Thanks, but $249 for a printer like that with marginal specs is too rich for
    my blood. Think I'll go the $50 route and buy one of the cheap small desktop
    inkjets and buy a cheap duffel to carry it around.

    "Eben King" <ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com> wrote in message

    > I have a BJC-85.
    > http://usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=6620
    > It's connected to my laptop by USB, although it also supports parallel and
    > IR.

    am pretty sure dell does a small printer.. i got one bout 4 years ago...

    sorry but ive sold it sinc ethen so i dont have the model number nor could i
    find it on the site...

    ebay maybe?

    my solution is to put Adobe Acrobat and a fax program on my laptop. I
    either fax it to my hotel room to get hardcopy (incoming faxes are usually
    free) or make a pdf file that I can get printed elsewhere.

    > Thanks, but $249 for a printer like that with marginal specs is too rich
    for
    > my blood. Think I'll go the $50 route and buy one of the cheap small
    desktop
    > inkjets and buy a cheap duffel to carry it around.
    >
    > "Eben King" <ebenONE@tampabay.ARE-ARE.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I have a BJC-85.
    > > http://usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=6620
    > > It's connected to my laptop by USB, although it also supports parallel
    and
    > > IR.

Laptops Hewlett Packard Printers