Sign in with
Your question

Restarting issue persists

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2009 5:18:21 PM

I have currently run into an issue where my PC freezes randomly and just restarts. There is no BSOD, it just simply restarts. Sometimes I can hear my G-card restart and then the screen goes blank and then the PC restarts, other times it just restarts randomly. I can be playing games, music or using any other application and it will crash. I thought it may be my G-card and so I replaced it. That seemed to work, but, then I tried the old one and it also worked. :( 
So I fiddled with my ram and bios, took apart my G-card to see if it was not correctly cooled, took off my CPU cooler replaced the heat paste. Made sure all my cables were correctly stowed, checked for any places where the motherboard maybe touching the case(shorts), updated my bios, reinstalled my g-card drivers and still the problem persists. The Win 7 report says its error 41 and it has something to do with my kernel power??!! :fou:  So now I am at the very end of my tether. Can anyone help me with this issue. I have tried pretty much everything. i have a suspicion its my Power supply but, thats only 2 months old.

I had recently overclocked my PC but temperatures and voltages were all well within the safe range. And when I returned it to defaults it continued to restart. Also, My ram is new so I doubt its that. But, I will run mem-test shortly.

My specs are:

Q9550 @ 2.83 E0 stepping previously overclocked to 4.16Ghz @ 1.28 Volts
P5Q Turbo Motherboard with latest bios
2X Corsair 2048GB XMS2
Yeston HD4890 1GB at stock clocks CCC 9.9
WD Caviar Black 640GB
Windows 7 7600 RTM
Asus DVD Writer
Cooler master Hyper X CPU cooler
Random Chinese 550 Watt Power supply (apparently its good)

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.
Oh, and I know this may sound crazy but, as I have found with computers, when logic fails....
I have a ATX case, when it stands up I seem to have the restart issue, when it is lying on its side, it doesn't seem to restart!!!?? :pt1cable:  Plausible explanation, no, but any ideas?

September 23, 2009 5:27:34 PM

Alacold said:
Random Chinese 550 Watt Power supply (apparently its good)

"Apparently" doesn't cut it, I'm betting its the power supply, get a Corsair HX520W or its VX550W sibbling before that PSU starts frying other parts...
m
l
September 23, 2009 5:33:20 PM

I like you candor. Indeed, well I am going to look into investing in one of the above PS's then. Thank you for your quick response. I will post the outcome when I am able.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2009 5:48:22 PM

I have just read that instantaneous crashes are usually attributed to a faulty power supply, however, sound loops freezes are more to do with RAM or drivers. If this is the case then I get both, would this be more cause for concern or does it follow the PS problem suite?
m
l
September 23, 2009 6:12:02 PM

Alacold said:
I have just read that instantaneous crashes are usually attributed to a faulty power supply, however, sound loops freezes are more to do with RAM or drivers. If this is the case then I get both, would this be more cause for concern or does it follow the PS problem suite?

You should have told me that there's more going one than just crashes/freezes. Faulty RAM can also make a computer crash and cause all kinds of other malfunctions, so definitely check that out as well, before you buy a new PSU.
Run with just one stick at a time and see if the problems go away, if they don't than lend a stick from a friend, if that doesn't help then it's your PSU.
m
l
September 23, 2009 6:20:37 PM

Thanks again. I am going to mem-test it now and report my findings.
m
l
September 24, 2009 5:10:44 AM

Ok, so I removed my PC from its case and mem-tested for 9 hours. Not one error. It hasn't reset since I have taken it out of the case which seems a little daft. So I am wondering if it wasn't shorting on something. I will place it back in the case and see what happens. I still have no clue what may be causing the issue.
m
l
September 24, 2009 6:53:03 AM

I put it back in the case with a cardboard backing in order to eliminate the shorting option. Also I started it with a screw driver instead of attaching it to the PC power lead, hopefully eliminating any chance of shorting and BAM! Reset. But, more worryingly there seems to be a slight crackling sound coming from the Power Supply area. I am completely stumped. It works and then it doesn't. So sometimes thers the crackling sound, sometimes not. I am gonna test a new power supply as soon as I have the cash to buy one. Has anyone experienced the crackling before?
m
l
September 24, 2009 2:53:12 PM

No, never had it but it could be caused by a lead not being properly attached? check power lead is RIGHT in, and if modular PSU, check all the plugs are in. Also, look for physical damage to all cables.

It doesn't sound good whatever it is. I would recommend ceasing all testing with that psu.
m
l
September 24, 2009 2:59:53 PM

Alacold said:
I put it back in the case with a cardboard backing in order to eliminate the shorting option. Also I started it with a screw driver instead of attaching it to the PC power lead, hopefully eliminating any chance of shorting and BAM! Reset. But, more worryingly there seems to be a slight crackling sound coming from the Power Supply area. I am completely stumped. It works and then it doesn't. So sometimes thers the crackling sound, sometimes not. I am gonna test a new power supply as soon as I have the cash to buy one. Has anyone experienced the crackling before?

Replace your power supply with one from a reputable brand, and hope the old one didn't screw something up permanently.

< insert rant here about people powering good~superior componentry with cheezy PSU's >
m
l
September 24, 2009 3:58:03 PM

Solved, it was the PS. I just got a friends 400W PS and swapped out the old one. No issues so far. Thanks for all the help guys. Oh, and never trust Hechuang power supplies. I am going to be picking up a HD5870, any idea on a really good PSU. I checked for the ones Gulli mentioned and they seem to be difficult to acquire in my part of China. It seems Thermal Take are easy to get and Coolermaster.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help.
m
l
September 25, 2009 8:26:32 PM

Alacold said:
Solved, it was the PS. I just got a friends 400W PS and swapped out the old one. No issues so far. Thanks for all the help guys. Oh, and never trust Hechuang power supplies. I am going to be picking up a HD5870, any idea on a really good PSU. I checked for the ones Gulli mentioned and they seem to be difficult to acquire in my part of China. It seems Thermal Take are easy to get and Coolermaster.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help.

You'll need a PSU with a combined maximum wattage of 432W (36A) on the 12V rail(s) and two 6-pin PCI-E connectors, get one from Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic or Antec, those are the most reliable brands, though Coolermaster and Thermaltake are pretty reliable as well (especially with the more powerful PSU's, like the one you're gonna need.)
m
l
November 10, 2009 11:54:39 AM

Alacold...Is your PC running better now with your new PS? how's your Games?
m
l
November 10, 2009 12:23:34 PM

Well, the games are running fine. The problem was really with the PC not the software. The PSU was faulty, So I swapped it out and put in an Antec 650W. She's purring along nicely now. :ange: 

If you are inquiring due to the fact that you think your PSU is faulty then I really do suggest you replace it as it could damage other expensive components.

Hazaar!
m
l
November 10, 2009 3:06:09 PM

Alacold I was ready to suggest replacing the PSU when i saw that you have done so and fixed it...

I was a "victim" before and got a corsair 650 - cheap PSUs are a big NO NO...
m
l
!