Pls help woth graphic card overclock........

shubham1401

Distinguished
I have a old Geforce 6200 TC.I planned to overclock it to get some more juice out of it.

sO I downloaded Atitool and overclocked it a bit.
(now i can run some old games at 1024X768 while earlier they were at 800X600)

The idle temps are 50 degree celcius and full load temps are 65 degree celcius.

I made a new profile in Atitool.
I m thinking to load this profile whenever playing games and run default profile for all other tasks.

My ques is "Whether i will damage the card by overclocking it and underclocking it by changing the profiles frequently or it will be fine?".

You won't damage the card by changing it's clocks frequently. You can damage it, however, by using bad/poorly tested clocks. Make sure the card is solid at the clocks you're setting.

Edit: your != you're

shubham1401

Distinguished
What do you mean by badly/poorly tested clocks?

The temps are fine and the overclock is stable and there are no gitches in the game.
I saw good performance increase and there was no driver corrupt issue.

I changed core clock from 350 to 482.
and memory clock from 275 to 303.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Not if you act like a spoiled child we won't.

Additionally there is absolutely no point in overclocking a 6200... buy a new computer if you want improvements. That card was not a gaming card when it was released nearly a decade ago, it is far removed from useful now a days.

There is no point in us getting into details on how to overclock a card like that, do some damn research for yourself. It really isn't rocket science to download rivatuner/atitool and read the instructions with it...

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Why do you have an AGP era card in a pcie motherboard? I assume it is a pci gpu. That is several different kinds of stupid though.. just buy a dirt cheep pcie card for 30bucks and behold the ten fold increase in power...

A pci 6200 is probably no better than the on board 950 you have on that MB... (It is actually better, but we are still comparing a snail to a turtle)

baffling, it really is.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

The 6200 is better than the 950 assuming AGP, but this is PCI. I have no numbers on that.

Yes, that was a deliberate misstatement of fact (i know, i know..). But given the absurdity of wanting to overclock a decade old PCI GPU I don't really feel that bad about the sarcasm.

shubham1401

Distinguished
This card is not pci..........Its pci express with 64 mb DDR memory.

Actually i have lots of studies in this year and i will be going to college next year :D
Thats why i am not buying a new card.

Anyways thanks to Frozenlead.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Well, I'll be.. the actually made 6200 PCIe eh.. heh..

You're still not gonna get much out of an overclock though.. given that you might be tight for money may not be worth frying it till yu can afford to replace it (and when you can afford to replace it you may as well replace it as it is pretty darn slow :) )

shubham1401

Distinguished

I got an increase of around 10fps in all games.