H60 plus 120mm fan swap quite enough?

fapestar

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I've been obsessing over what heatsink and fan or water cooling to get to get the quietest coolest results. But i've heard a lot of people say the fan on the Corsair H60 is loud and the H70 with 2 fans, forget about it.

But, since the 120mm fan can be replaced (i'm assuming) I was wondering if replacing it with a CFM of 70 or more with a decible of 24 or less fan would solve the problem, or is static pressure an issue.

for example this fan is 19Decibles and 69.cfm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103060

this one is less than 24 decibles and a near match for the H60 stock fan cfm at 72 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233009

I have a 1050t stock
8gigs of 1333 ddr3 ram
500 gig sata hdd
HIS 2gb 6950
Antec 750w PSU
Lian Li Case (pretty big case)

Also, are any of these fans listed compatible size wise with the H60 and what exactly is static pressure.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
H60 follows normal 120mm fan spec size, like most LCS coolers (unless it is different...someone correct me if I am wrong.)

Fan Specification120mm (x1)

So, that being said, any normal 120mm fan would mount...not sure about thickness, though. You'd get better performance out of 2 fans in push/pull rather than 1 powerful fan.

Static pressure...kind of tricky to explain. It addresses the power of the fan to push air in regards to actually having something there to push against. For instance, when you see a CFM rating for a fan, that is for the fan running, in empty space without anything interfering with the airflow. We all know fans are mounted, have grilles, push through radiators, pull air though dust filters, etc. This is where static pressure is key...the ability of the fan to effectively push air through/past/around these kinds of real-world obstacles and still perform well. A fan might have high CFM, but it may not necessarily have good static pressure. Consider it the 'torque' rating of a fan, if you will.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I had the same dilemma and decided to go with the Antec H20 620. Similar design, but the reports seem to show that the Antec is quieter and cools better than the Corsair. It is also recommended to exhaust the fan outside the case (as opposed to the Corsair which recommends an intake).

You can put a second fan on the Antec radiator. I haven't used two fans , yet.

Instead of the Antec fan I have the Xigmatec Crystal White LED which has 63 cfm at <20dB. It provides great quiet cooling, but I may still mount the Antec in a push-pull configuration.

fapestar

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
cool. how much quieter is it than the stock hsf? do you overclock? how much, and whats ur stock speed.

Thanx for the first repsonse btw. very helpful.

I also was thinking about getting a 140mm fan with 69cfm and under 24decibles and seeing if that would be even better. Will a 140mm fan fit the antec or the corsair radiator?

BTW, i['m not trying to get like 4.5 or 4.3 speeds, so i'm not interested in push/pull if its not necessary. i'm more concerned with getting the quietest 4.0 or 3.9 overclock I can.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I have a H60 and the stock fan has high static pressure and is quiet...I can't even hear it...It is better than the H50 and H70 stock fans....I have a H60 in push/pull Pull(Stock fan)Push(CM Excaliber)...The CM Excaliber is very loud...I suggest trying to get a second fan to match the stock H60...Corsair done their homework on the H60 Fan...BTW...it is 120x25mm...22db for stock@1820 rpm....The CM puts out 32db @ 2250 rpm.....The Schythe Kaze Maru is a good fan that will fit.... it is a 140mm fan that fits 120mm mounts

chesteracorgi

Distinguished

Yes I OC both the CPU and GPU. I don't have a sound meter but I can say that it is quiet enough to hear the birds chirping outside over the fans. You can hear a whisper over it. The stock HSF was loud in comparison, but not overly loud.

You can easily run the fan on the H20 620 at 30% and OC to 4.2. Only when I am gaming do I increase the fan rpm to make it audible over a whisper.

cromero55

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009

I just got an H60 yesterday and so far so good. Wondering what your temps are with the push/pull configuration. I'm at 43c on my AMD 955BE with some load.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
At 4.0GHz@1.42v ----> Prime95 7 Hours large fft's my temps reached 49c....That 54c was at maximun....gaming is irrelevant when it comes to 100% load on a four core CPU...Chester what is your prime95 temps for 3 hours at 4.0GHz?

TRENDING THREADS