Best stock motherboard for intel e6400

Hi,
I don't overclock stuff and need to replace my MSI P965 platinum motherboard.
My processor is an intel Core 2 Duo e6400.
I take full responsibility for the motherboards demise and loved it while I had it and thanks to tomsharware for helping me make the original purchase.
It even survived being bundled into a backpack in its original box plus sponge padding and thrown around several airports around the world.
I am assuming that now at the end of 2009 things have moved on a bit and I am just too lazy to trawl through the forums and reviews to establish what I am looking for, and that is to simply find out which motherboard would be the best to replace old faithful with, bearing in mind that I don't ever overclock anything.
I realise I am on the border of extinction but the question still stands - which board ended up being the best without overclocking and might still be available?
thanks nerds
8 answers Last reply
More about best stock motherboard intel e6400
  1. look at these:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128371

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131377

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

those should all work and be great for what you are looking for. :D
  2. Do you really need to replace the board? Here are some of the things that have changed (that I remember) since the P965 was released:
    - PCIE 2.0 - Though up to now even a single PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot is not yet realistically over saturated by even a single 5870.
    - SATA 3.0Gbps - I haven't seen any real speed benefit over the original SATA spec, as hard drives haven't really saturated the old spec.
    - DDR2-800MHz has become mainstream (though this would only really matter if you are into overclocking).

Unless you require a SATA 3Gbps port due to buying an SSD, or more ram slots I don't see why you really need to change your mobo.
  3. After my search engine stopped working I fiddled around with stuff and rebooted my PC. It was taking it's time so I kept pushing reboot and then it stopped working and I smelled smoke. The hard drive is completely dead and the motherboard does not respond, lol.
    (I think the sata drive cable was loose as well by the way)
    I am hoping that the cpu is still alive as it seems to look o.k.
    I could replace the MB with the same as before seeing that it worked fine for me until I butchered it , but I was just wondering if there was a better board at stock seeing as the prices are so low being a couple of years down the line.
    I did not understand anything you said in your post by the way, went totally over my head :pt1cable:
  4. thanks anonymous, will have a peek
  5. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably deserve whatever bad things happen to you.
  6. Who are you calling nerds? I'm confused if you're asking for help but throwing out insults simultaneously. Did you mean it as a compliment?
  7. rubit le rouge said:
    After my search engine stopped working I fiddled around with stuff and rebooted my PC. It was taking it's time so I kept pushing reboot and then it stopped working and I smelled smoke. The hard drive is completely dead and the motherboard does not respond, lol.
    (I think the sata drive cable was loose as well by the way)
    I am hoping that the cpu is still alive as it seems to look o.k.
    I could replace the MB with the same as before seeing that it worked fine for me until I butchered it , but I was just wondering if there was a better board at stock seeing as the prices are so low being a couple of years down the line.
    I did not understand anything you said in your post by the way, went totally over my head :pt1cable:

The cheapest way would be to get a G31 motherboard from Gigabyte or Asus, though those have limited PCI and PCI-E slots and ram slots. Otherwise you could try what Anonymous posted.
  8. Towely, thats probably true, however I also accept responsibility for all the bad things that happen to me.

HundredIslands, that was just tongue in cheek, I've been gaming since the intellivision / zx spectrum days - I think the word irony fits in here somewhere.

amnotanoobie - you are a master.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking Intel Product