Best stock motherboard for intel e6400

rubit le rouge

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Hi,
I don't overclock stuff and need to replace my MSI P965 platinum motherboard.
My processor is an intel Core 2 Duo e6400.
I take full responsibility for the motherboards demise and loved it while I had it and thanks to tomsharware for helping me make the original purchase.
It even survived being bundled into a backpack in its original box plus sponge padding and thrown around several airports around the world.
I am assuming that now at the end of 2009 things have moved on a bit and I am just too lazy to trawl through the forums and reviews to establish what I am looking for, and that is to simply find out which motherboard would be the best to replace old faithful with, bearing in mind that I don't ever overclock anything.
I realise I am on the border of extinction but the question still stands - which board ended up being the best without overclocking and might still be available?
thanks nerds

G

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Do you really need to replace the board? Here are some of the things that have changed (that I remember) since the P965 was released:
- PCIE 2.0 - Though up to now even a single PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot is not yet realistically over saturated by even a single 5870.
- SATA 3.0Gbps - I haven't seen any real speed benefit over the original SATA spec, as hard drives haven't really saturated the old spec.
- DDR2-800MHz has become mainstream (though this would only really matter if you are into overclocking).

Unless you require a SATA 3Gbps port due to buying an SSD, or more ram slots I don't see why you really need to change your mobo.

rubit le rouge

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
After my search engine stopped working I fiddled around with stuff and rebooted my PC. It was taking it's time so I kept pushing reboot and then it stopped working and I smelled smoke. The hard drive is completely dead and the motherboard does not respond, lol.
(I think the sata drive cable was loose as well by the way)
I am hoping that the cpu is still alive as it seems to look o.k.
I could replace the MB with the same as before seeing that it worked fine for me until I butchered it , but I was just wondering if there was a better board at stock seeing as the prices are so low being a couple of years down the line.
I did not understand anything you said in your post by the way, went totally over my head :pt1cable:

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

The cheapest way would be to get a G31 motherboard from Gigabyte or Asus, though those have limited PCI and PCI-E slots and ram slots. Otherwise you could try what Anonymous posted.

rubit le rouge

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Towely, thats probably true, however I also accept responsibility for all the bad things that happen to me.

HundredIslands, that was just tongue in cheek, I've been gaming since the intellivision / zx spectrum days - I think the word irony fits in here somewhere.

amnotanoobie - you are a master.